Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Gary Kuznitz <do...@theoffice.la> on 2006/11/07 22:47:26 UTC

Is Tomcat a good solution for me?

Hi,

I'd like some help in figuring out if Tomcat is right for me.  I currently have
PWS running in '98se with ASP pages.  I have very little traffic.  I'd like to
use the same web pages I currently have.

I'd like to move towards XP Pro.
My first question is should I use Tomcat to replace PWS?
Should I install Apache at the same time or will Tomcat suffice my needs.  I
don't expect to expand the web pages.
Can I install Tomcat on the same PC PWS is currently running and use a
different port for Tomcat while I am testing/configuring the same web pages.
After I know it works I would want to swap ports between PWS and Tomcat.  After
I know Tomcat is fully functional I could remove PWS.
I don't currently have the XP Pro box.  I'd like to migrate everything to
Tomcat on '98 if I could.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.  If I haven't given enough information to
advise me please let me know.

Thank you,

Gary Kuznitz

Re: Is Tomcat a good solution for me?

Posted by Timothy Collett <da...@mac.com>.
On Nov 7, 2006, at 4:47 PM, Gary Kuznitz wrote:
> Any and all suggestions are welcome.  If I haven't given enough
> information to
> advise me please let me know.

I'm not quite sure if I understand you correctly...but Tomcat cannot
serve ASPs.  It serves JSPs and servlets.

If I've misunderstood, and you're intending to migrate from ASPs to
JSPs/servlets, then I apologize.

Timothy Collett

--

"But what ... is it good for?"
--Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968,

RE: Is Tomcat a good solution for me?

Posted by Steffen Heil <li...@steffen-heil.de>.
Hi

> I currently have PWS running in '98se with ASP pages.
> I don't expect to expand the web pages.

These two sentences make me think the following:
PWS is basically nothing different than IIS, but compiled for Windows 98.
As Windows XP comes with IIS this is propably the best chiose for you.

There you have asp and you can use the components already do.

Regards,
  Steffen

RE: Is Tomcat a good solution for me?

Posted by Robert Harper <ro...@iat-cti.com>.
If your content is static pages, the Apache might be a better option. If you
are using Java Servlets for dynamic content, then Tomcat would work fine.
You may have to adjust some of your code to match changes in the runtimes.
If you are using ASP, I don't think Tomcat is for you.

You should be able to run PWS and Tomcat at the same time on different
ports.

Remember that Tomcat is a Java centric servlet container. It can serve up
static content but is primarily suited to run and control your Java
Servlets.

Robert S. Harper
Information Access Technology, Inc.