Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Cyrill Zadra <cy...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/28 06:12:17 UTC

Spark Accordion

Hey

I was looking for a Spark Accordion and found the one in tinks and
cframpton whiteboard (branch adobe.next). I moved all the relevant
classes from cframpon's adobe.next branch to my develop branch and
after a couple of hours I had a working accordion and it looks great.

Before I continue to do some work and tests on accordion I just wanted
to ask if there is already a decision which accordion is going to be
in apache flex?  If not.. what needs to be done to have a decision.

Cyrill

Re: Spark Accordion

Posted by Cyrill Zadra <cy...@gmail.com>.
I think tink uses a similar approach as you mentioned bogdan,
.. just looking at his source code ;-)

Cyrill

Re: Spark Accordion

Posted by Bogdan DINU <fl...@gmail.com>.

--
http://www.badu.ro

Re: Spark Accordion

Posted by Cyrill Zadra <cy...@gmail.com>.
Tinks components are now in experimental project.

Cyrill

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 4:16 PM, Cyrill Zadra <cy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> just fyi.. I have my local experimental project updated with tink's
> components. As soon I've a stable internet connection I'll clone the
> git repository and push my changes.
>
> cyrill
>
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 9:12 AM, Cyrill Zadra <cy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> No .. I haven't yet looked at it.
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 9:05 AM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> I just use the existing one unless there's a compelling reason to use Tinks. Any idea how they compare?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Justin

Re: Spark Accordion

Posted by Cyrill Zadra <cy...@gmail.com>.

Re: Spark Accordion

Posted by Cyrill Zadra <cy...@gmail.com>.
No .. I haven't yet looked at it.

Re: Spark Accordion

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Spark Accordion

Posted by Cyrill Zadra <cy...@gmail.com>.
If no one else has any favorite or concerns I would start bring tinks
accordion to the experimantel project. Whats about all the other
components shall I move them aswell? If so.. there would appear a
component conflict ;). Tinks and experimental folder contain both a
MenuBar component. How do we proceed in this situation?

Cyrill

Re: Spark Accordion

Re: Spark Accordion

Posted by Cyrill Zadra <cy...@gmail.com>.
[...]

SkinnableContainer.as Modified frameworks/projects/spark/src/spark/components
defaults.css Modified frameworks/projects/spark
HorizontalAccordionContentSkin.mxml Added
frameworks/projects/spark/src/spark/skins/spark
HorizontalAccordionLayout.as Added
frameworks/projects/spark/src/spark/components/supportClasses
HorizontalAccordionSkin.mxml Added
frameworks/projects/spark/src/spark/skins/spark
HorizontalAccordionToggleButtonSkin.mxml Added
frameworks/projects/spark/src/spark/skins/spark
SparkClasses.as Modified frameworks/projects/spark/src
VerticalAccordionContentSkin.mxml Added
frameworks/projects/spark/src/spark/skins/spark
VerticalAccordionLayout.as Added
frameworks/projects/spark/src/spark/components/supportClasses
VerticalAccordionSkin.mxml Added frameworks/projects/spark/src/spark/skins/spark

Re: Spark Accordion

Posted by Cyrill Zadra <cy...@gmail.com>.
> I guess it should be 2 first, then 1 if you want to move them to the spark
> lib otherwize I guess, it's preferable to move them to the experimental lib
> as we did with the Bogdan's components, btw, there's also a thread "A
> guideline for adding new components to the Apache Flex SDK?" where we can
> talk about it, what do you think ?

Yes sorry.. first 2 then 1 ;-).

Re: Spark Accordion

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
> If we choose the Accordion in adobe.next branch I would suggest following
> steps:
1) Moving all relevant classes to develop branch direct in spark
project (not experimental project).
2) Writing mustella tests for accordion.

I guess it should be 2 first, then 1 if you want to move them to the spark
lib otherwize I guess, it's preferable to move them to the experimental lib
as we did with the Bogdan's components, btw, there's also a thread "A
guideline for adding new components to the Apache Flex SDK?" where we can
talk about it, what do you think ?

-Fred

> a while ago, I've looked over the Accordion from "adobe.next" branch,
> having the same intention on my mind. What I found out is that they went
> all the way down, modifying UIComponent to add elementCreationPolicy and
> elementDestructionPolicy to the NavigatorContent, in order to make the
> Accordion support creation and destruction policies.
>
> Since Accordion component seems the only one who needs that, my approach
> (which remained an experiment that I haven't had time to finish), was to
> create a class named NavigatorContentWithPolicies that extends
> SkinnableContainer, so UIComponent doesn't need to be altered.

@Alex or Carol do you know if there were any reason why
elementDestructionPolicy was added in UIComponent and not in a way as
Bogdan describes?

> Besides a bug about specifying width / height on AccordionContent that
> produces malfunction (never closes), the Accordion component seems
> compliant to pairing the MX one.

Yes .. until now I have the same impression that it brings everything
that the mx one does.
Just having some issue with the icon attribute I'm trying to figure out.
I haven't look at tink's source code yet just at his examples [1] ..
but I definitely look also at his source code.

If we choose the Accordion in adobe.next branch I would suggest following
steps:
1) Moving all relevant classes to develop branch direct in spark
project (not experimental project).
2) Writing mustella tests for accordion.

Or would you prefer the experimental project?

[1]http://www.tink.ws/examples/apache-flex/

Re: Spark Accordion

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Spark Accordion

Posted by Cyrill Zadra <cy...@gmail.com>.
Hey

Re: Spark Accordion

Posted by Bogdan DINU <fl...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

a while ago, I've looked over the Accordion from "adobe.next" branch,
having the same intention on my mind. What I found out is that they went
all the way down, modifying UIComponent to add elementCreationPolicy and
elementDestructionPolicy to the NavigatorContent, in order to make the
Accordion support creation and destruction policies.

Since Accordion component seems the only one who needs that, my approach
(which remained an experiment that I haven't had time to finish), was to
create a class named NavigatorContentWithPolicies that extends
SkinnableContainer, so UIComponent doesn't need to be altered.

Besides a bug about specifying width / height on AccordionContent that
produces malfunction (never closes), the Accordion component seems
compliant to pairing the MX one.

By the way, there is also a Spark ViewStack in that branch...

Best regards,
Bogdan

--
http://www.badu.ro

Re: Spark Accordion

Re: Spark Accordion

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 2/28/13 12:28 AM, "Om" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 27, 2013 9:12 PM, "Cyrill Zadra" <cy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hey
>>
>> I was looking for a Spark Accordion and found the one in tinks and
>> cframpton whiteboard (branch adobe.next). I moved all the relevant
>> classes from cframpon's adobe.next branch to my develop branch and
>> after a couple of hours I had a working accordion and it looks great.
>>
>> Before I continue to do some work and tests on accordion I just wanted
>> to ask if there is already a decision which accordion is going to be
>> in apache flex?  If not.. what needs to be done to have a decision.
>>
>> Cyrill
>
> Love this competition!  Can you please post both the paths in SVN and
> perhaps we can take a poll after a good technical discussion?  What do
> others think?
I'm pretty sure we don't have to have a competition or poll or technical
discussion.  If Cyrill picks one and checks it into the develop branch then
the decision has been made unless there is an technical objection by a
commit reviewer.  If you are worried that he made a bad decision, then it is
your responsibility to examine the alternatives and raise your objections.

Cyrill is wise to ask on the list first in case someone has used one of
these Accordions and already has a favorite, but if not, then it is his
call.  But you are certainly welcome to study both and voice your own
opinion.

For me, I will assume he has made sure the one he chooses does most of what
MX Accordion does.  I don't really care which one we choose.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Spark Accordion