Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by peter thesing <pe...@xs4all.nl> on 2005/05/04 22:01:53 UTC

username & password

Dear Reader,

Recently i have installed jakarta tomcat 4.1 and i have some questions
regarding logging in.
It is installed from the Cd's that came with SuSE 9.0. SuSE support in
non-existing and therefore they are unable to answer my questions.
I have the following irritating issues;
What are the default  user name and password settings for both admin and
manager?
How can i enter a custom user name and password to ensure security?
Does an upgrade to a higher version of Tomcat solve my login problem or
do i need to modify certain files? If so which ones and how?
Although  i am able to see the page telling me that all is working  do i
need to rewrite and recompile the software in order to use it?
FYI.
I am using Apache2 and  a 2.4 Linux kernel
After several dozens of tries this is my tomcat-users.xml

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<tomcat-users>
 <role rolename="tomcat"/>
 <role rolename="role1"/>
 <role rolename="manager"/>
 <role rolename="admin"/>
 <user username="root" password="w8woord"
roles="standard,tomcat,admin,manager"/>
 <user username="tomcat" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat"/>
 <user username="both" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat,role1"/>
 <user username="role1" password="tomcat" roles="role1"/>
</tomcat-users>
With kind regards
Yours desperate

Peter Thesing

Re: username & password

Posted by Anoop kumar V <an...@gmail.com>.
> <role rolename="tomcat"/>
> <role rolename="role1"/>
> <role rolename="manager"/>
> <role rolename="admin"/>
> <user username="root" password="w8woord"
> roles="standard,tomcat,admin,manager"/>

I dont think 'standard' is a role that has been defined - so maybe for
debugging purposes remove that and check - i just verified and adding a line
to the default tomcat-users.xml file helps a lot!

Anoop

On 5/4/05, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> peter thesing wrote:
> > What are the default user name and password settings for both admin and
> > manager?
> For security reasons there isn't a default user name and password for
> either of these applications.
>
> > How can i enter a custom user name and password to ensure security?
> Yes.
>
> > Does an upgrade to a higher version of Tomcat solve my login problem
> No.
>
> > or do i need to modify certain files?
> Yes.
>
> > If so which ones...
> It depends how Tomcat has been installed. Assuming the standard
> installation has been altered too much, you will need to edit
> $CATALINA_BASE/conf/tomcat-users.xml and then *restart Tomcat*. If you
> are still having trouble, post your server.xml as this will enable us to
> tell how non-standard the installation is.
>
> > and how?
> With any text editor of your choosing.
>
> > Although i am able to see the page telling me that all is working do i
> > need to rewrite and recompile the software in order to use it?
> No.
>
> > FYI.
> > I am using Apache2 and a 2.4 Linux kernel
> > After several dozens of tries this is my tomcat-users.xml
> >
> > <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
> > <tomcat-users>
> > <role rolename="tomcat"/>
> > <role rolename="role1"/>
> > <role rolename="manager"/>
> > <role rolename="admin"/>
> > <user username="root" password="w8woord"
> > roles="standard,tomcat,admin,manager"/>
> > <user username="tomcat" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat"/>
> > <user username="both" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat,role1"/>
> > <user username="role1" password="tomcat" roles="role1"/>
> > </tomcat-users>
> Looks OK to me. Did you restart Tomcat?
>
> Mark

Thanks and best regards,