Posted to user@manifoldcf.apache.org by Smitha S <Sm...@infosys.com> on 2014/12/15 08:51:30 UTC

User permission for crawling windows share

Hi,

We are using ManifoldCF to crawl using window share repository connector. In the fileserver a folder has been shared to a specific user (e.g say mcfusr). We have configured the window share repository connector with the server details, domain and the user credentials for 'mcfusr'. But when we ran the mcf job, crawling failed with an exception "jcifs: possibly trasient exce detected while getting share security".

When I went through the mailing list, I found a related thread.
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/manifoldcf-user/201409.mbox/%3C277F6D86-4C79-4C61-8AEF-FD5CD3D72737@gmail.com%3E

As per this, we have added the "mcfusr" to the administrator group of the fileserver. The crawling job worked successfully. But with this configuration, we found another issue.

In  the fileserver, there is another shared folder which is shared with only some other user (say restricted_folder). This folder is not shared with "mcfuser" explicitly. From outside the fileserver, we are not able to access this restricted folder. But we are able to configure the crawling job with this folder and mcfuser. The crawling is successful and documents are successfully indexed.

Even though MCF reads the ACL of the folder and its contents, why is it allowed for mcfusr to crawl the documents. We were expecting an exception in this scenario. Because of this our client is a little reluctant to add mcfusr to administrative group.

Could you please provide us some light on this.

Thanks & Regards,
Smitha S

Infosys e-mail system.

Re: User permission for crawling windows share

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
You may also need to update your Solr plugin.

Karl

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Smitha,

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.