Posted to soap-dev@xml.apache.org by Naresh Agarwal <na...@firstrain.com> on 2001/09/28 10:10:48 UTC

Are IIS/Tomcat Multi-threaded??

Hi

I want to ask something about the servers ( IIS for MS-Soap, Tomcat for
Apache-Soap), which host the Soap services

Are these servers (IIS and Tomcat) multithreaded, i.e. for each request, a
new thread is spawned which handles that particular request.

If yes, then any thread safe service, which is deployed in "application"
scope can handle multiple requests, as each request would run on a separate
thread ( spawned by IIS/Tomcat), which wud access the same instance of Soap
server(deployed in Application scope).

Please clarify.

thanks,

Regards,
Naresh Agarwal

Re: Are IIS/Tomcat Multi-threaded??

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@computer.org>.
IIS and Tomcat are multi-threaded, although rather than spawning new
threads, they mostly allocate threads from a pool.  Tomcat can actually be
used for two servers, one for HTTP and the other for the "JServ" protocol.
Tomcat can then be used as a servlet container with other HTTP servers (IIS,
Apache, iPlanet, etc.) by having extensions for those servers communicate
with it using the "JServ" protocol.  Each of Tomcat's servers has its own
thread pool.

Yes, a single instance of your service code handles multiple requests by
simply having multiple threads executing it.

Scott