Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Roman Schmitz <ro...@gmail.com> on 2022/11/12 20:47:25 UTC

[DISCUSS] KIP-887 - Add ConfigProvider to make use of environment variables

Hi all,

as I had this discussion with several customers and also colleagues I'd
like to implement a ConfigProvider that makes use of env variables,

Please let me know if you have any comments, questions, or suggestions!

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-887%3A+Add+ConfigProvider+to+make+use+of+environment+variables

Thanks,
Roman

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-887 - Add ConfigProvider to make use of environment variables

Posted by Roman Schmitz <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

following up on this KIP ! As there was some discussion as part of the
review of the PR (https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/12992) I'd like to
inform you about the changes that were made:
- The Env-Var-Config provider has been implemented as originally discussed.
- A security feature was added: Whitelisting the envvars with a regex in a
property *env.var.pattern* to allow only specific variables to be used to
avoid sniffing of sensitive data / variables with defaults to whitelist
everything (*).
- General agreement was that this feature is nice to have but not mandatory
for this KIP/PR to be implemented. As it was already implemented while
still in discussion we agreed to keep it with a default (*).

Cheers,
Roman

Posted by Roman Schmitz <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris, Kirk,