Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Christian Trutz <ch...@smilebase.de> on 2001/11/15 12:59:47 UTC

Excalibur DataSource Management

Hello,

I get the following error message, if I use datasource of excalibur with the
standard Sun ODBC-JDBC bridge :-(

DEBUG   90    [preisbuch ]: ComponentFactory creating new instance of
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource.JdbcDataSource.
DEBUG   90    [preisbuch ]: Loading new driver: sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver
WARN    90    [preisbuch ]: Could not load driver:
sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver
DEBUG   120   [preisbuch ]:
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource.JdbcConnection: could not be
instantiated.
DEBUG   120   [preisbuch ]:
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource.JdbcConnection: could not be
instantiated.
DEBUG   120   [preisbuch ]:
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource.JdbcConnection: could not be
instantiated.
DEBUG   120   [preisbuch ]:
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource.JdbcConnection: could not be
instantiated.
DEBUG   120   [preisbuch ]:
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource.JdbcConnection: could not be
instantiated.
FATAL_E 120   [preisbuch ]: Excalibur could not create any connections.
Examine your settings to make sure they are correct.  Make sure you can
connect with the same settings on your machine.

with other JDBC drivers it works fine. Has anyone the same problem?

Christian

Re: Excalibur DataSource Management

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 17 Nov 2001 02:10, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Christian Trutz wrote:
> > At 08:48 15.11.2001 -0500, you wrote:
> > I have ranted and raged about this driver.  In the end I have only one
> >
> >> recommendation:  NEVER USE THE ODBC-JDBC BRIDGE FOR ANYTHING!
> >
> > Ok I now, it's not a good idea using a ODBC-JDBC bridge but I must use
> > MS Access 97 as database (the customer say this), do you know a JDBC
> > driver for this database????
>
> ooh!  I hate that.  I've ranted and raged about that as well.  The question
> is: "Is it a requirement to have a small database deployed with the
> application as a file, or is it officially none other than the bane of all
> serious db development (MS Access)?".

for me MS access is the only choice due to client policy from on high ;(

> If you are STUCK without remedy on MS Access, I feel for you.  There is no
> alternative to ODBC-JDBC driver.  In that case I would be VERY careful HOW
> you design that database!  If you do it in any other fashion than would
> work on a real database, you have just screwed yourself.  Access let's you
> do many things that a real database won't--and they make it so easy to do
> that with. NEVER use the "memo" or OLE object types, and NEVER let the
> database get over 30-40MB in size.  Access has a way of self-imploding at
> that size.

oh yer. I just finished fixing just that. We changed DB from access to sql
server. It was expected to take 2 man days ... ended up taking 20 man days.
Mainly as out peer layer had a few access-specific issues. If it wasn't for
the ease of juniting the system I suspect it could have easily taken 2-3
times longer to fully test and integrate system. Blech

--
Cheers,

Pete

"abandon all hope , ye who enter here" - dante, inferno

Re: Excalibur DataSource Management

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 16 Nov 2001 19:04, Christian Trutz wrote:
> At 08:48 15.11.2001 -0500, you wrote:
> I have ranted and raged about this driver.  In the end I have only one
>
> >recommendation:  NEVER USE THE ODBC-JDBC BRIDGE FOR ANYTHING!
>
> Ok I now, it's not a good idea using a ODBC-JDBC bridge but I must use MS
> Access 97 as database (the customer say this), do you know a JDBC driver
> for this database????

I feel your pain. We have to do the same ;(

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: Excalibur DataSource Management

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Christian Trutz wrote:

> At 08:48 15.11.2001 -0500, you wrote:
> I have ranted and raged about this driver.  In the end I have only one
>
>> recommendation:  NEVER USE THE ODBC-JDBC BRIDGE FOR ANYTHING!
>

> Ok I now, it's not a good idea using a ODBC-JDBC bridge but I must use
> MS Access 97 as database (the customer say this), do you know a JDBC
> driver for this database????

ooh!  I hate that.  I've ranted and raged about that as well.  The question
is: "Is it a requirement to have a small database deployed with the application
as a file, or is it officially none other than the bane of all serious db
development (MS Access)?".

If it is a requirement for a fully contained product with the database included,
then I would suggest HSQL as is packaged with Cocoon.

If you are STUCK without remedy on MS Access, I feel for you.  There is no
alternative to ODBC-JDBC driver.  In that case I would be VERY careful HOW
you design that database!  If you do it in any other fashion than would work
on a real database, you have just screwed yourself.  Access let's you do many
things that a real database won't--and they make it so easy to do that with.
NEVER use the "memo" or OLE object types, and NEVER let the database get over
30-40MB in size.  Access has a way of self-imploding at that size.

I have had the fortunate experience of succesfully convincing customers that
developing for Access is a dead end street, and converting to a real database
later will introduce huge hidden costs.  I also convinced my CTO that we should
never concider developing against Access again--even as a "rapid prototype"
solution.  My points were driven deeply home when I had the task of migrating
our products to Informix and Oracle databases.  First I had to collect all
the different access databases and merge the differences (there was one per
developer, and our change list sheet was never filled out).  Then I had to
redesign the relationships in the databases so that they were more efficient,
and would actually work in the real RDBMSs.  Next, I had to enforce the
naming scheme we use across the company.  Lastly, we had the pain of migrating
the application to the new queries that were necessary.  It took four man-months
to accomplish (four developers 1 month).

It's just something to chew on.

--

"Those who would trade liberty for
  temporary security deserve neither"

Re: Excalibur DataSource Management

Posted by Christian Trutz <ch...@smilebase.de>.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Pratik Patel wrote:

> Christian Trutz wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I get the following error message, if I use datasource of excalibur
>> with the
>> standard Sun ODBC-JDBC bridge :-(

I have ranted and raged about this driver.  In the end I have only one
recommendation:  NEVER USE THE ODBC-JDBC BRIDGE FOR ANYTHING!

It is NOT JDBC 2.0 compliant, and it will never be.  Almost EVERY
database in existence has a JDBC driver for it--even Microsoft recently
released an official one for their SQL Server product.

USE THE CORRECT JDBC DRIVER FOR YOUR DATABASE.

The ODBC-JDBC bridge was only ever intended to provide a quick solution
to a temporary problem.  There is now no reason to consider using it
other than it is covered in text books.

Re: AW: Excalibur DataSource Management

Posted by Christian Trutz <ch...@smilebase.de>.
Hi Pratik,

it works now (with JAVA_HOME/lib/rt.jar) ... thank you for your help ...

Christian

Posted by Pratik Patel <pr...@metalab.unc.edu>.

Posted by Pratik Patel <pr...@metalab.unc.edu>.
Christian Trutz wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I get the following error message, if I use datasource of excalibur with the
>standard Sun ODBC-JDBC bridge :-(

<snip>