Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> on 2008/08/01 08:15:39 UTC

Re: Atom format and stuffing library into bundle

Marc Speck wrote:
> Thanks for your help, Carsten. I left the private-package path and I'm
> riding now again the embedded way: I looked at the missing packages, guessed
> their artifactId, guessed their version and added the dependencies. Here we
> go:
>
>                         <Embed-Dependency>
>                             abdera-core,
>                             abdera-parser,
>                             abdera-server,
>
>                             commons-codec,
>                             abdera-i18n,
>                             axiom-impl,
>                             axiom-dom,
>                             axiom-api
>                         </Embed-Dependency>
>
>     <dependencies>
>         <dependency>
>             <groupId>org.apache.ws.commons.axiom</groupId>
>             <artifactId>axiom-impl</artifactId>
>             <version>1.2.7</version>
>         </dependency>
>         <dependency>
>             <groupId>org.apache.ws.commons.axiom</groupId>
>             <artifactId>axiom-dom</artifactId>
>             <version>1.2.7</version>
>         </dependency>
>         <dependency>
>             <groupId>org.apache.ws.commons.axiom</groupId>
>             <artifactId>axiom-api</artifactId>
>             <version>1.2.7</version>
>         </dependency>
>
>         <dependency>
>             <groupId>commons-codec</groupId>
>             <artifactId>commons-codec</artifactId>
>             <version>1.3</version>
>         </dependency>
>         <dependency>
>             <groupId>org.apache.abdera</groupId>
>             <artifactId>abdera-i18n</artifactId>
>             <version>0.4.0-incubating</version>
>         </dependency>
>

> After this, some error have gone but there are still 8 errors left, so I'm
> sure that I totally misunderstood here something. This cannot be the way to
> simply add a library to a bundle. What am I doing wrong?

:) Actually this is the way to go - BUT the amount of work you have to
do depends on the structure of the library you want to include. For
instance, if you want to include some commons-* lib, you just need to
add this one as a dependency.
If you have a complex lib, well, you have to take care of all of its
dependencies and depending on the complexity of the library there can be
a lot of dependencies.
Therefore it would be great if most libs would already be osgi aware and
provide the additional meta information. Then the libs could be used as
bundles without any additional work. Some of the commons libs are
already osgi bundles (commons codec is not yet).

Can you show us your whole pom? Then I can have a look at it.

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org