Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Jeff Holoman <jh...@cloudera.com> on 2015/03/03 21:44:25 UTC

[VOTE] KIP-7 Security - IP Filtering

Details in the wiki.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-7+-+Security+-+IP+Filtering

--
Jeff Holoman
Systems Engineer

Re: [VOTE] KIP-7 Security - IP Filtering

Posted by Parth Brahmbhatt <pb...@hortonworks.com>.
I can confirm that KAFKA-1688 will cover this use case. Please go over
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-11+-+Authorization+In
terface and let me know if you think there is a different use case being
covered by KIP-7.

Thanks
Parth

Posted by Brock Noland <br...@apache.org>.
I think it is acceptable for KIP-11 to allow additional network based
authorization. However I do feel that most user will want something
simpler and thus I don't feel KIP-11 should require network based
authorization by default.

For example postgres allows something similar to what is being
discussed here. In addition to user based authz of database objects,
administrators can use the "pg_hba.conf" configuration file to perform
network based authz for users and groups.

Despite this, few postgres installs with more than one user, use the
"pg_hba.conf" configuration for user based network authz. They do,
however, use standard user based authz for database objects and
"pg_hba.conf" for basic database-wide network authz.

tl;dr - I think we should implement both KIP-7 and KIP-11.

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gs...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Jeff Holoman <jh...@cloudera.com>.
Parth,

Posted by Parth Brahmbhatt <pb...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Parth Brahmbhatt <pb...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Jeff Holoman <jh...@cloudera.com>.
Hey Jun,

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Jeff Holoman <jh...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Jeff Holoman <jh...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Jeff Holoman <jh...@cloudera.com>.
bump

Posted by Jeff Holoman <jh...@cloudera.com>.
Guozhang,

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Jeff,

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [VOTE] KIP-7 Security - IP Filtering

Posted by Jiangjie Qin <jq...@linkedin.com.INVALID>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gs...@cloudera.com>.
+1 (non-binding)