Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Jean Georges Perrin <jg...@jgp.net> on 2016/07/04 20:56:59 UTC

log traces

Hi,

I have installed Apache Spark via Maven.

How can I control the volume of log it displays on my system? I tried different location for a log4j.properties, but none seems to work for me.

Thanks for help...

Re: log traces

Posted by Jean Georges Perrin <jg...@jgp.net>.
Hi Luis,

Right...

I managed all my Spark "things" through Maven, bu that I mean I have a pom.xml with all the dependencies in it. Here it is:

<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
	xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0 http://maven.apache.org/xsd/maven-4.0.0.xsd">
	<modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
	<groupId>app</groupId>
	<artifactId>main</artifactId>
	<version>0.0.1</version>
	<build>
		<plugins>
			<plugin>
				<version>3.3</version>
				<configuration>
					<source>1.7</source>
					<target>1.7</target>
				</configuration>
			</plugin>
		</plugins>
	</build>
	<dependencies>
		<dependency>
			<groupId>mysql</groupId>
			<artifactId>mysql-connector-java</artifactId>
			<version>5.1.6</version>
		</dependency>
		<dependency>
			<groupId>org.hibernate</groupId>
			<artifactId>hibernate-core</artifactId>
			<version>5.2.0.Final</version>
		</dependency>
		<dependency>
			<groupId>org.apache.spark</groupId>
			<artifactId>spark-core_2.10</artifactId>
			<version>1.6.2</version>
		</dependency>
		<dependency>
			<groupId>org.apache.spark</groupId>
			<artifactId>spark-sql_2.10</artifactId>
			<version>1.6.2</version>
			<scope>provided</scope>
		</dependency>
		<dependency>
			<groupId>com.databricks</groupId>
			<artifactId>spark-csv_2.10</artifactId>
			<version>1.4.0</version>
		</dependency>
		<dependency>
			<groupId>org.apache.commons</groupId>
			<artifactId>commons-lang3</artifactId>
			<version>3.4</version>
		</dependency>
		<dependency>
			<groupId>joda-time</groupId>
			<artifactId>joda-time</artifactId>
			<version>2.9.4</version>
		</dependency>
	</dependencies>
</project>

When I run the application, I run it, no through Maven, but through Eclipse as a run configuration.

At not point I see or set a SPARK_HOME. I tried programmatically as well and Spark does not get it.

I do not connect to a Spark cluster (yet) just on my machine...

I hope it is clear, just started spark'ing recently...

jg

> On Jul 4, 2016, at 6:28 PM, Luis Mateos <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Jean,
>
> What do you mean by "running everything through maven"? Usually, applications are compiled using maven and then launched by using the $SPARK_HOME/bin/spark-submit script. It might be helpful to provide us more details on how you are running your application.
>
> Regards,
> Luis
>
> On 4 July 2016 at 16:57, Jean Georges Perrin <jgp@jgp.net <ma...@jgp.net>> wrote:
> Hey Anupam,
>
> Thanks... but no:
>
> I tried:
>
> 		SparkConf conf = new SparkConf().setAppName("my app").setMaster("local");
> 		JavaSparkContext javaSparkContext = new JavaSparkContext(conf);
> 		javaSparkContext.setLogLevel("WARN");
> 		SQLContext sqlContext = new SQLContext(javaSparkContext);
>
> and
>
> 		SparkConf conf = new SparkConf().setAppName("my app").setMaster("local");
> 		SparkContext sc = new SparkContext(conf);
> 		sc.setLogLevel("WARN");
> 		SQLContext sqlContext = new SQLContext(sc);
>
> and they are still very upset at my console :)...
>

>> On Jul 4, 2016, at 5:28 PM, Anupam Bhatnagar <anupambhatnagar@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jean,
>>
>> How about using sc.setLogLevel("WARN") ? You may add this statement after initializing the Spark Context.
>>
>> From the Spark API - "Valid log levels include: ALL, DEBUG, ERROR, FATAL, INFO, OFF, TRACE, WARN". Here's the link in the Spark API. http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/api/scala/index.html#org.apache.spark.SparkContext <http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/api/scala/index.html#org.apache.spark.SparkContext>
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Anupam
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 2:18 PM, Jean Georges Perrin <jgp@jgp.net <ma...@jgp.net>> wrote:
>> Thanks Mich, but what is SPARK_HOME when you run everything through Maven?
>>
>>> On Jul 4, 2016, at 5:12 PM, Mich Talebzadeh <mich.talebzadeh@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> check %SPARK_HOME/conf
>>>
>>> copy file log4j.properties.template to log4j.properties
>>>
>>> edit log4j.properties and set the log levels to your needs
>>>
>>> cat log4j.properties
>>>
>>> # Set everything to be logged to the console
>>> log4j.rootCategory=ERROR, console
>>> log4j.appender.console=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
>>> log4j.appender.console.target=System.err
>>> log4j.appender.console.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
>>> log4j.appender.console.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{yy/MM/dd HH:mm:ss} %p %c{1}: %m%n
>>> # Settings to quiet third party logs that are too verbose
>>> log4j.logger.org.spark-project.jetty=WARN
>>> log4j.logger.org.spark-project.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle=ERROR
>>> log4j.logger.org.apache.spark.repl.SparkIMain$exprTyper=INFO
>>> log4j.logger.org.apache.spark.repl.SparkILoop$SparkILoopInterpreter=INFO
>>> log4j.logger.org.apache.parquet=ERROR

Re: log traces

Posted by Jean Georges Perrin <jg...@jgp.net>.
Hey Anupam,

Re: log traces

Posted by Anupam Bhatnagar <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jean,

How about using sc.setLogLevel("WARN") ? You may add this statement after
initializing the Spark Context.

From the Spark API - "Valid log levels include: ALL, DEBUG, ERROR, FATAL,

Re: log traces

Posted by Jean Georges Perrin <jg...@jgp.net>.