Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by James Courtier-Dutton <ja...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/28 11:38:45 UTC

Labels

Hi,

I have a svn repository with a number of files in it.

I want to be able to label each file with a tag that indicates the
purpose of the file.

For example, I might have one set of files for one customer, and
another set of files for another customer, with some overlap between
the files.

I would then want to be able to filter the view of the files in the
repository based on these labels. I would than want to tag the set
based on the view.
So, later I could see which versions of which files were sent to
customer A on date xyz.

I can currently do tagging, but I cannot seem to apply any label and
tag based on the label. I can only currently do tagging to a file or
an entire directory.

Also, if I tag a file for one customer, and that same file has to go
to a second customer, the tagging increases the revision number, so it
looks like a different file.
So, is there any way to tag a file in the repository with two
different tags, and not have the revision number different?

Can anyone help?

James

Re: Labels

Posted by James Courtier-Dutton <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 28/03/06, Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com> wrote:
> You are assigning meaning to the revision number which is not
> implied. It is merely "the number of changes that have occurred in
> the repository." Nothing more. Revisions apply to the repository as a
> whole, not individual files. Thus, a file in the repository at
> revision X is not necessarily different from the file in the
> repository at revision X + N.
>
> Subversion does not have labels. You can invent them, by using things
> like "svn propset mylabel foo" but there is no facility by which you
> could then search for all files having property "mylabel" set to
> "foo", so this is probably not much use to you.

I suppose what I am really looking for is some type of "views" feature
like databases have.
So, I might wish to do checkouts and commits, but only on a select few
files in the repository. The determination of which files to
checkout/commit would be based on the propset labels instead of any
particular branch or directory tree.

So, I guess this has turned into a feature request for something like.
svn co svn://repository/  with contraints of branch name+label combination.
Instead of the contraint of just branch name.

On another note, what are the current properties actually used for?

James

Re: Labels

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 28, 2006, at 13:38, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

> I want to be able to label each file with a tag that indicates the
> purpose of the file.
>
> For example, I might have one set of files for one customer, and
> another set of files for another customer, with some overlap between
> the files.
>
> I would then want to be able to filter the view of the files in the
> repository based on these labels. I would than want to tag the set
> based on the view.
> So, later I could see which versions of which files were sent to
> customer A on date xyz.
>
> I can currently do tagging, but I cannot seem to apply any label and
> tag based on the label. I can only currently do tagging to a file or
> an entire directory.
>
> Also, if I tag a file for one customer, and that same file has to go
> to a second customer, the tagging increases the revision number, so it
> looks like a different file.
> So, is there any way to tag a file in the repository with two
> different tags, and not have the revision number different?

You are assigning meaning to the revision number which is not
implied. It is merely "the number of changes that have occurred in
the repository." Nothing more. Revisions apply to the repository as a
whole, not individual files. Thus, a file in the repository at
revision X is not necessarily different from the file in the
repository at revision X + N.

Subversion does not have labels. You can invent them, by using things
like "svn propset mylabel foo" but there is no facility by which you
could then search for all files having property "mylabel" set to
"foo", so this is probably not much use to you.

I don't think Subversion currently can accomodate what you're asking
for, at least, not in the way you're asking for it.

It sounds like a Subversion way to do what you want might be to have
a separate branch for each customer and to merge relevant changesets
between them. Branching is described in the free Subversion book at
http://svnbook.org .

Re: Labels

Posted by John Calcote <jo...@gmail.com>.
James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a svn repository with a number of files in it.
>
> I want to be able to label each file with a tag that indicates the
> purpose of the file.
I would like to point out to the list that this is the tag discussion
all over again. While speaking with a friend about the concept of
tagging in other areas, I made the intuitive leap to tags in subversion.
It occurs to me that what has been missing from our "Tags are NOT
branches" discussion is that I've been trying to somehow treat SVN tags
like CVS tags.

What we really need is an implementation of tags that comes closer to
tags as implemented by modern projects like evolution or flickr, or any
number of other projects or sites out there that let you arbitrarily
associate tags with objects (music, photos, source files, anything). In
addition, many of these products/sites let you define rules that
automatically associate tags with certain classes of objects. Subversion
needs to be able to do this as well, only these rules look more like
update specifications (for starters).

Remember, my original complaint (in that other thread) was that tags are
conceptually NOT branches. They are something different, and we should
provide for that difference in the code. By making them the same, you
shoe-horn them into a scheme that is not as flexible or useful for the
purposes of tags. And I've already heard all the arguments about how
cool it is that you CAN implement tags as branches in subversion, so
let's not go there. :)

Just throwing out more ideas.

John

Re: Labels

Posted by Thomas Hemmer <th...@go-engineering.de>.
James,

there is nothing like tags/labels or similar in subversion.

At the first glance this may be somewhat confusing to an svn newbie (just like
me some couple of months ago ;-)), but the svn developers provided us with a
mechanism called "lazy copies" that will do the job very elegantly.
Simply create svn folders representing each of your clients and "lazy copy" the
respective files into them. This is an exact equivalent to what other versioning
systems call "creating tags and labels".

Before getting acquainted with svn I had been a StarTeam user for a couple of
years, and it took me some time, too, to adopt this concept.
I take it as one of the major strengths of svn that it provides you with a
handful of simple but powerful concepts instead of being bloated with confusing
features that do not supply real functionality.

Regards,

Thomas

-----Urspr�ngliche Nachricht-----