Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Andrew Wilson <an...@tees.elsevier.co.uk> on 1996/01/16 10:50:14 UTC

101 - Re: The List

Alexei:
> Maybe. Although, I'm still wondering whatever happened to 1.0.1. Can
> someone please tell me?

Built, uploaded, unnannounced.  In use by 200+ or so of the more
technically aware webmasters out there, who already knew about the
httpd/dist directories.  There are probably just as many users of 1.0.0
with the race_condition patch added.

1.0.1 on it's own is possibly not enough.  David R's pointed to a some
stack overwriting errors which should also be closed up in future
releases.

The bottom line is that we have not agreed on a strategy for managing
firefighting updates to supposedly stable code, such as 1.0.1 was
deemed to be.  I think we've been a bit confused about the right thing
to do, and I'm less certain now than I was when 1.0.1 was built, that
we should have immediately released 1.0.1.

I have to keep reminding myself that this is fun but time consuming
work and if I put myself in a position where I (c'est moi) have to
react to every screaming sys-admin's problems within 30 seconds then,
for me, Apache becomes a software maintainance drudge, instead of a
voyage of discovery, self fulfillment and free lunches.  Mmm, there's
some sarchasm in there somewhere I think.

I think (I'm hoping) that once we start releasing new betas
(1.1b0-1-2-3) then the confusion will fade away.  However, I'm not sure
that sys-admins relying on the server in a mission-critical role would
be quite so happy with this laid-back attitude.  It's the difference
between having fun on the internet and being part of a hardcore
programming project.

Cheers,
Ay.