Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by don wonnell <do...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2016/07/16 17:51:31 UTC

Helping More People Access Open Office

It helped when I found out we need to contact APACHE, but this was hard to find out when OO 3.1 stopped working. Only saw it on Wikipedia after several weeks of no service with 3.1.

 More communicating and marketing will help many people, and of course help your firm.
Don WonnellSylvania OH

RE: Helping More People Access Open Office

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Dave hasn't spoken up so ...

I interpret his remark as being a casual observation about the ASF (and its AOO project) not being a for-profit, commercial operation.

Going all legalese about this is probably not useful.  I doubt that the intended audience is confused.

There are different kinds of non-profits, by the way, and there is a wide range of different activities.  (E.g., the ASF is neither trade association nor standards-development consortium.)

The ASF has declared itself as serving the public interest by providing free software as a public good.  In doing so, the ASF puts meticulous attention on the intellectual-property cleanliness of the software released under its name. The also has standards of good open-source citizenship that it applies to the conduct of its projects.  These are more strenuous conditions than the literal requirements for compliance with the Apache License.  A relevant case for Apache OpenOffice is that projects incorporate license-compatible software from third parties only when it is explicitly allowed by someone with the authority to do so.

That is worth discussing on the main thrust of this message thread and related ones that have arisen lately.

 - Dennis

Posted by Dave <no...@tasit.net>.
Posted by toki <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
The Apache Software Foundation is a 501(c3) non-profit corporation registered in Delaware, USA.

http://apache.org/foundation/records/

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone