Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by manuelbarzi <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/16 12:17:20 UTC

Re: Wicket architecture diagram?

hi, i am preparing a wicket architecture document for a project and i need a
preliminary diagram asap. what  is the result, is the diagram presented here
by Subbu already corrected (ended) and presented somewhere? it's very
important for this document. thanks

jWeekend wrote:

> Jeremy,
>
> Yes, if you believe showing "model" on such a high level architectural
> diagram meant to depict how the major components hang together, then you
> should show IModel instead of LDM for sure. And it's true that newcomers
> need to understand models and can find this concept hard to grasp if they
> have not seen this sort of pattern before, but you don't need to show
> everything in the one diagram.
>
> Another comment about the diagram(s) I feel would be most useful (ones I
> would have benefited from when I first luckily stumbled upon Wicket) is
> that there should be a clear distinction between static and dynamic
> features of the framework, for consistency and to avoid confusion for the
> reader.
>
> I think this is a good start and you can also see some of the Wiki entries
> syl put on the Wiki even before he was working with us, like
> http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/request-cycle-and-request-cycle-processor.html
> this one .
>
> Regards - Cemal
>  http://jWeekend.com jWeekend
>

> Jeremy Thomerson-5 wrote:
>>
>> While I agree that you could take out LDM specifically, I really think
>> that
>> you should replace it with IModel - I think it is critical to show that
>> IModel is the abstraction between a component and where it gets it's
>> data.
>> This is the number one misundertstood thing that I find among those I
>> teach.
>>
>> --
>> Jeremy Thomerson
>> http://www.wickettraining.com
>>

>> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 6:44 AM, jWeekend
>> <jw...@cabouge.com>wrote:
>>

>>> Subbu,
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>> I have a quick minute now, so I thought you'd appreciate a few crumbs of
>>> feedback before I can take a better look, hopefully late this evening.
>>>
>>> 0 - this is a great start!
>>> 1 - take out the LDM - this stretches the scope of the diagram beyond

Posted by jWeekend <jw...@cabouge.com>.
Manuel,

I had a chat with Jonathan recently and this came up then too. He was also
going to mention it to Eelco as well, but we have all been pre-occupied, for
our part (and ironically) partly due to growing numbers of corporate Wicket
projects and on-site training requests!

If you do come up with something (and there are some guidelines already on
this thread and chapter 2 of Wicket In Action), I am sure you will get very
prompt and valuable feedback if you post it here.

Regards - Cemal
http://jWeekend.com jWeekend
Training, Consulting, Development