Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com> on 2006/02/22 05:00:39 UTC

org.osgi.framework classes - what's the licence?

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere on the Felix site, but I couldn't
see anything, nor any obvious thread in the mail archives.

The java source files in the org.osgi.framework have this as their
copyright/licence section:

 * Copyright (c) OSGi Alliance (2000, 2005). All Rights Reserved.
 *
 * This program and the accompanying materials are made available under the
 * terms of the Eclipse Public License v1.0 which accompanies this
 * distribution, and is available at
http://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-v10.html.

Are these files going to be re-licenced under the Apache Licence V2?

Is it just part of the on-going incubation process? I'm just suprised
that the files have been there for six months and not modified to have
an ASF approved copyright statement and licence. I seem to remember with
Derby we had to fix up the IBM copyright statements as the first action.

Derby's build could benefit by having access to these standard classes
to avoid a optional download of an OSGi jar file.

Thanks,
Dan.

Link to an example, BundleActivator.java

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/incubator/felix/trunk/org.apache.felix.framework/src/main/java/org/osgi/framework/BundleActivator.java?view=markup

Re: org.osgi.framework classes - what's the licence?

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Sorry for the delayed response.

At one point in time there was some discussion about re-licensing/dual
licensing the OSGi interface files under ASL. I am not sure what
happened to this, so I will follow up on it now.

If that does not pan out, then we will have to remove the source (unless
we get specific approval to keep the EPL'ed source in the repo) and just
use binaries, which from my understanding is acceptable.

-> richard