Posted to users@maven.apache.org by ro...@aciworldwide.com on 2007/07/20 15:20:21 UTC

Large number of dependencies

I've just begun implementing maven into our build process. I have some
artifacts with a large number of dependencies.

ibm\websphere\j2ee\6.0.2\j2ee-6.0.2.jar
ibm\websphere\runtime\6.0.2\runtime-6.0.2.jar
ibm\websphere\rsadaptercci\6.0.2\rsadaptercci-6.0.2.jar
ibm\websphere\rsadapterspi\6.0.2\rsadapterspi-6.0.2.jar
ibm\websphere\rsaexternal\6.0.2\rsaexternal-6.0.2.jar
ibm\websphere\sas\6.0.2\sas-6.0.2.jar
ibm\websphere\ras\6.0.2\ras-6.0.2.jar
ibm\websphere\bootstrap\6.0.2\bootstrap-6.0.2.jar
ibm\websphere\emf\6.0.2\emf-6.0.2.jar
ibm\websphere\iwsorb6.0.2\iwsorb-6.0.2.jar
ibm\websphere\utils6.0.2\utils-6.0.2.jar
ibm\websphere\wssec\6.0.2\wssec-6.0.2.jar
ibm\websphere\admin\6.0.2\admin-6.0.2.jar
ibm\websphere\management\6.0.2\management-6.0.2.jar
ibm\websphere\wasjmx\6.0.2\wasjmx-6.0.2.jar
ibm\websphere\wsexception\6.0.2\wsexception-6.0.2.jar
ibm\websphere\jsf-api\6.0.2\jsf-api-6.0.2.jar
ibm\websphere\ws-jsf\6.0.2\ws-jsf-6.0.2.jar
ibm\websphere\webservices\6.0.2\webservices-6.0.2.jar

I'd like to bundle them into a sort of "dependency group" that would then
take only one entry in my POMs. Suggestions?

This email message and any attachments may contain confidential,
proprietary or non-public information.  The information is intended solely
for the designated recipient(s).  If an addressing or transmission error
has misdirected this email, please notify the sender immediately and
destroy this email.  Any review, dissemination, use or reliance upon this
information by unintended recipients is prohibited.  Any opinions
expressed in this email are those of the author personally.

Re: Large number of dependencies

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hmmm I'm not quite sure what you are/were doing, but basically you
need to create a pom, say ibm/pom.xml, and inside set the <packaging>
as "pom", add the <dependencies> for your various ibm jars in there,
then add this "ibm" artifactId to your other project(s).

This of course requires that you: 1. install the ibm/pom.xml file into
your repo and 2. have all the ibm jars installed/available in your
repo as well.

Wayne

On 7/20/07, robert.egan@aciworldwide.com <ro...@aciworldwide.com> wrote:
> It did not work, but pehaps I'm doing something wrong, because it still
> wants a jar. I added an appropriately named "empty jar" (manifest only)
> and even tried putting the pom in the jar.
>
> For now, I must put it on the back burner and deal with production issues
> (this counts as R&D).
>
> Thanks anyway for taking the time to answer.
>

> Robert Egan
>
> This email message and any attachments may contain confidential,
> proprietary or non-public information.  The information is intended solely
> for the designated recipient(s).  If an addressing or transmission error
> has misdirected this email, please notify the sender immediately and
> destroy this email.  Any review, dissemination, use or reliance upon this
> information by unintended recipients is prohibited.  Any opinions
> expressed in this email are those of the author personally.
>
> "Wayne Fay" <wa...@gmail.com> wrote on 07/20/2007 10:09:01 AM:
>
> > Yes, that works. Create a pom with no code, packaging pom, and then
> > <depend> on that pom in your real code project. It should bring all
> > the dependencies along with it.
> >
> > Wayne

Posted by ro...@aciworldwide.com.
Yes, that's done it.

I prefer this approach because it brings the handling of third party jars
in line with the ones we've created ourselves, instead of being a special
case.

Thanks again!
Robert Egan

"Wayne Fay" <wa...@gmail.com> wrote on 07/20/2007 11:22:11 AM:

> Brian, that works too. But most of the time, you've got several
> projects that all need the same collection of jars, so you end up
> installing this pom by itself and then you can add it to any project
> at any time.
>
> Wayne
>
> On 7/20/07, Lalor, Brian <Br...@fmr.com> wrote:
> > Wayne gave me more credit than I deserved, but we weren't quite
> talking about the same thing.  Forget putting anything directly into
> the repository.  Instead, assuming you're using a multi-module
> project, create a new sub-module and define your dependencies there.
> >
> > So, your tree would look something like this:
> > . top-level dir ("/"; groupId: com.foo, artifactId: top-level)
> > |- pom.xml
> > |- big-ass-dependency (groupId: com.foo, artifactId:
big-ass-dependency)
> > |  `- pom.xml
> > |- web-proj
> >   `- pom.xml
> >
> > In /big-ass-dependency/pom.xml, you'd specify your dependencies.
> In /web-proj/pom.xml, you'd declare your dependency on
big-ass-dependency:

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Lalor, Brian" <Br...@fmr.com>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.