Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Maciej Zawadzki <mb...@urbancode.com> on 2003/06/03 18:44:34 UTC

Any Plans for an Execute library?

Hello,

I'd like to first say that I love the Commons libraries.  Our
development team has been starting to use these libraries more and more.
  This road has not been without it's bumps since like most development
teams that have been around since the early days of Java, we have a lot
of our own libraries that provide sometimes similar functionality.  But
the benefit of going with libraries that are more widely used, and
therefore more throughly tested, and of course maintained by someone
else if very alluring :)  On the last point of -- maintained by someone
else --  we'd like to start chipping in.

So my question is -- are there any plans for a library that assembles
together code to execute outside processes from within Java?  To start
with, this library could be based on the related code that already
exists within Ant -- there are only a few places where that code is
coupled with Ant so making a more generic and reusable library would be
quite easy and quick.  I'm talking about classes such as
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Execute and related.

I believe that such a library would be very useful, especially if it
included functionality to deal with environmental variables.  I bring
this issue up because I am at a point where I need to expand on the
limited functionality that I have in my Execute utility class.
Essentially, I will probably be embarking soon on the development of the
Execute library that I've described, and I would like to ensure that I'm
not going to duplicate anyone else's effort.

It seems that there already is a similar project for starting Java
applications -- ("Launcher" in the sandbox).  the project I'm proposing
could be combined with "Launcher" or could stand on its own.

What do you guys think?

Regards,

--Maciej