Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com> on 1998/11/12 18:40:01 UTC

Re: config/3281: Unable to get .htaccess to work at subdirec

The following reply was made to PR config/3281; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
To: Mark Cousins <Ma...@sita.int>
Cc: Apache bugs database <ap...@apache.org>
Subject: Re: config/3281: Unable to get .htaccess to work at subdirec
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 09:32:36 -0800 (PST)

 On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Mark Cousins wrote:

 > Marc,

 > understand so in order to help you to help us here is a copy of our
 > access.conf file to suggest any possible solutions.
 >
 > Is this in a Directory container?
 > >> I am not sure what a directory container is ?

 A Directory container is a "<Directory foo...>" then a few lines then
 "</Directory>" bit in the config file.  It makes restrictions on a per
 directory basis.

 > <Directory /home/httpd/html>
 >
 > # This may also be "None", "All", or any combination of "Indexes",
 > # "Includes", "FollowSymLinks", "ExecCGI", or "MultiViews".
 >
 > # Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options All"
 > # doesn't give it to you (or at least, not yet).
 >
 > Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
 >
 > # This controls which options the .htaccess files in directories can
 > # override. Can also be "All", or any combination of "Options", "FileInfo",
 >
 > # "AuthConfig", and "Limit"
 >
 > #AllowOverride None
 > AllowOverride AuthConfig

 Go through the docs on the AllowOverride directive.  Here, it says that
 AuthConfig is allowed, which is what you appear to want to do in your
 htaccess file.

 [...]
 > <Directory /home/httpd/html>
 > AllowOverride none
 > Options All
 > </Directory>

 Then this section, for the html directory, says that no overrides are
 allowed which means that htaccess files will be ignored in that directory,
 which is the behaviour you are seeing.