Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Steve Krulewitz <sh...@mm.st> on 2004/09/11 21:53:55 UTC

handle-errors and the SitemapSource

Hey all --

I am working on a project that does a lot of aggregation using the
CIncludeTransformer and the SitemapSource (cocoon://).  When one of
these aggregated sources throws an exception, I would like to return
different xml rather than having the exception bubble up to the root
sitemap's handle-errors.  However, a pipeline's handle-errors does not
get called when the pipeline is invoked using the SitemapSource.  This
has come up before and there was a proposed solution [1] but I can't
tell if anything has come of it.

Has anyone made any progress on this?

cheers,
-steve

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?m=107876029119774

Re: handle-errors and the SitemapSource - workaround

Posted by Steve Krulewitz <sh...@mm.st>.
Looking at the source, I can't see any obvious way for the SitemapSource
to get access to the pipeline's error handler.  So taking the cowards
way out, I created a new SitemapSource called
ErrorHandlingSitemapSource.  I added some code to use the SourceUtil to
call another pipeline (provided as a parameter) if the original pipeline
source fails.

Does this sound ok?  I am concerned about what would happen if the
original pipeline threw an exception after producing some sax events --
this might lead to some strange combination of the original pipeline and
the alternate pipeline.  Or does the pipeline only start producing
events after the pipeline is processed?

cheers,
-steve