Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by kan <ka...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/29 17:06:54 UTC

GWT-like

Is there any easy way to make wicket applications like GWT? I mean to
make a "heavy client side", so it will allow easy manage data
pre-loading and requests (AJAX too) caching. The aim is to minimize
amount of web-server requests.
Say, I have several tabs on a page. Some tabs should have all data
pre-loaded and switched immediately (no requests to server). Some tabs
are "big", so they do an AJAX request for data, but only if a tab is
opened first time.

--
WBR, kan.

Re: GWT-like

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
i did not say it was a bad idea to embed js components, i said it was
a bad idea to try and build a gwt-like fat-client using wicket. for
that there is gwt.

-igor

Re: GWT-like

Posted by Vladimir K <ko...@gmail.com>.

Re: GWT-like

Posted by Per Lundholm <pe...@gmail.com>.
Yeah but I have a really bad experience with GWT. If the number of
objects that are on a page goes up, performance decreases drastically
due to the use of Javascript. No wonder Google wrote a browser of
their own.

Take a look at AjaxLazyLoadPanel if it might do the trick for your
heavier parts.

Javadoc: "A panel where you can lazy load another panel. This can be
used if you have a panel/component that is pretty heavy in creation
and you first want to show the user the page and the replace the panel
when it is ready. "

/per

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 9:11 PM, Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> dont try to make wicket into gwt. if you want a fat client then use
> gwt, if you want a server-side app then use wicket.
>
> -igor
>
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 8:06 AM, kan <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there any easy way to make wicket applications like GWT? I mean to
>> make a "heavy client side", so it will allow easy manage data
>> pre-loading and requests (AJAX too) caching. The aim is to minimize
>> amount of web-server requests.
>> Say, I have several tabs on a page. Some tabs should have all data
>> pre-loaded and switched immediately (no requests to server). Some tabs
>> are "big", so they do an AJAX request for data, but only if a tab is
>> opened first time.
>>
>> --
>> WBR, kan.

Varning! E-post till och från Sverige, eller som passerar
servrar i Sverige, avlyssnas av Försvarets Radioanstalt, FRA.

WARNING! E-mail to and from Sweden, or via servers in Sweden,
is monitored by the National Defence Radio Establishment.

Re: GWT-like

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: GWT-like

Posted by kan <ka...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I thought about jQuery, and even have found a WickeXt project.
But it doesn't give a flexibility - so I cannot easily mix and manage
pre-load/cache strategies.
And I don't know easy way to make AJAX requests cached, only by
explicit javascript, and it eliminates Wicket advantages.

2009/4/29 Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>:
> That's the main difference between GWT and Wicket - so if you really
> NEED it all client-side, then use GWT.
>
> As far as your tab problem - sure, you can do this with Wicket.  The
> default (I believe - it's been a while since I used the tabbed panel)
> is to load the other tab via ajax.  But if you want some tabbed panels
> to preload everything, just use jQuery or dojo, etc to make that
> tabbed panel - IOW, output all of the markup with Wicket and add the
> tabs as a JS effect.  It eliminates the server callbacks.  Make this a
> reusable component and you can use it wherever you want it.
>
> Remember not to prematurely optimize.  Code maintenance costs more
> than operational costs.
>
> --
> Jeremy Thomerson
> http://www.wickettraining.com
>

> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 10:06 AM, kan <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there any easy way to make wicket applications like GWT? I mean to
>> make a "heavy client side", so it will allow easy manage data
>> pre-loading and requests (AJAX too) caching. The aim is to minimize
>> amount of web-server requests.
>> Say, I have several tabs on a page. Some tabs should have all data
>> pre-loaded and switched immediately (no requests to server). Some tabs
>> are "big", so they do an AJAX request for data, but only if a tab is
>> opened first time.
>>
>> --
>> WBR, kan.

WBR, kan.