Posted to user@lucenenet.apache.org by Itamar Syn-Hershko <it...@code972.com> on 2015/02/05 00:43:11 UTC

Sponsors for full-time Lucene.NET development?

Hi all,

(there's a TL;DR in the end)

Since the last Lucene.NET release the original Lucene project has changed
drastically - it now supports a lot more search features (like FST
suggesters, better highlighters, many more powerful queriesm etc), with
much better performance.

As you already know, we've been hard at work for some time now to drive
development for Lucene.NET. We are trying to revive the project, and aiming
for a 4.8.0 release in the very near future. We are in a very good place
now - most of the crucial code has already been ported, and most tests are
now green.

There's still plenty left to do. Mainly to port some more subprojects +
their tests, make sure all tests are green (we are using randomized testing
and have many permutations, so that might take some time), and then start
optimizing things for the CLR. Future plans also include PCL support,
better testing, and running natively on Mono, mobile and Azure - among
other things.

Once 4.8.0 is done, we will stabilize the codebase and make sure we have
the tools and methods to keep this project up to date with Java Lucene.
There's demand for a strong Lucene on the CLR, all we need to do is be able
to supply.

While I'm going to continue working on this open-source effort
unconditionally, I'm slowly realizing the effort required is way more than
I can currently put. I'm freelancing and need to work on contracts, while
this project can benefit from at least 2 months of full-time work.

I'm not quitting - far from that. I'll keep pushing hard until we release,
and after that as well. But I thought I'd post this open letter to say I'll
be happy to work on Lucene.NET full-time for a while, if any company would
like to sponsor that effort. If you are interested in helping - please feel
free to email me privately.

I'm also considering a crowd-funding campaign, but admittedly that's even
harder to pull off.

We have been wanting to release a more up-to-date version of Lucene.NET for
a while now, its time to make it happen.

*TL;DR*: We all want better Lucene.NET, and I'm pushing this effort forward
unconditionally. I'd like to be able to dedicate more time to the project,
but as a freelancer that's hard to do. If there are any companies who would
like to sponsor some of that it will greatly help. I'm also considering a
crowd-funding campaign.

Cheers,

--

Itamar Syn-Hershko
Freelance Developer & Consultant

Re: Sponsors for full-time Lucene.NET development?

Posted by Michael O'Shea <mi...@gmail.com>.
Itamar,

I know all about the time problem. I'm in the same boat.

You however are nearly single-handedly making this work. You're an absolute
hero.

The Kickstarter (or other similar funding scheme) idea is great. There are
major projects out there that depend heavily on your implementation. You
should try and get them to invest.

Cheers,

Michael

Posted by Moray McConnachie <mm...@oxford-analytica.com>.
Yep, me too - no way a small company like ours can meaningfully sponsor a contractor, but we could certainly contribute a few $.
Yours,
Moray

[...]

http://code972.com | @synhershko <https://twitter.com/synhershko> Freelance Developer & Consultant Microsoft MVP Lucene.NET committer and PMC member

Disclaimer

This message and any attachments are confidential and/or privileged. If this has been sent to you in error, please do not use, retain or disclose them, and contact the sender as soon as possible.

Oxford Analytica Ltd
Registered in England: No. 1196703
5 Alfred Street, Oxford
United Kingdom, OX1 4EH

Re: Sponsors for full-time Lucene.NET development?

Posted by João Prado <jo...@gmail.com>.
I'm with Jorg.

If there's any crowdunding to sponsor the project I'll spare some bucks on
that.

AW: Sponsors for full-time Lucene.NET development?

Posted by Jörg Lang <jl...@evelix.ch>.
Hi Itmar

Posted by Jörg Lang <jl...@evelix.ch>.
Hi Itmar