Posted to dev@lucy.apache.org by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> on 2010/03/28 17:31:29 UTC

Portability of KS 0.30_09 to various Unixen

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 09:31:25PM -0500, Peter Karman wrote:
> Marvin Humphrey wrote on 3/27/10 6:54 PM:
>
> > Wish I had access to a FreeBSD 8.x box so I could figure out what went wrong
> > here:
> >
> >     http://www.cpantesters.org/cpan/report/7013414
> >
> > It looks like a memory error somewhere in Charmonizer, but I can't reveal it
> > by running "CHARM_VALGRIND=1 ./Build charmony" on OS X the way I could other
> > charmonizer memory errors that were plaguing FreeBSD 8.x.
>
> that error appears in several of the KS failures. for one:
>
> http://www.cpantesters.org/cpan/report/6915815

Cygwin.

I've put in my Windows portability time getting MSVC set up.  If we can
compile and pass tests under MSVC, we're 90% of the way to compiling under
Cygwin.  But it's too much effort for me to set up a Cygwin environment for
that last 10%.  Same with Strawberry Perl.

Hopefully if we solve the problem that's troubling FreeBSD 8.x etc. while
still keeping MSVC happy, Cygwin will suddenly start passing.  That's how
things have worked before.

> notice too the solaris hate:
> http://matrix.cpantesters.org/?dist=KinoSearch+0.30_083

Yeah.  Amazon EC2 offers OpenSolaris, so I suppose I could try opening up an
instance there.  However, I'm trying to keep a lid on the amount of time I
spend chasing portability issues.  The actual work on KS isn't hard or
time-consuming, but setting up all those environments is a PITA.  There's a
big return on MSVC, so that one I think is worthwhile for me to maintain.  For
the others, it's diminishing returns.

FWIW, KinoSearch1 doesn't work on Solaris 2.9 because of memory alignment
issues.  Solaris 2.10+ is more tolerant, and those alignment issues no longer
exist in KS, but it wouldn't surprise me if Solaris 2.9 still doesn't work, as
I don't know how well it handles C99.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [Lucy] Portability of KS 0.30_09 to various Unixen

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 10:10:56PM -0500, Peter Karman wrote:
> I can help in that way though. I'll try and set up some VMs for FreeBSD 8.0 and
> OpenSolaris to make it easier to test things.

That would be great.  :)

The non-forwards-compatible file format changes are going smoothly... I've got
three out of four done.

There were originally some API changes I was thinking would go into 0.30_10,
but since people won't be able to downgrade without reindexing, I think it
might make sense to do a minimal release.

Posted by Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com>.
Marvin Humphrey wrote on 3/28/10 10:31 AM:
> However, I'm trying to keep a lid on the amount of time I
> spend chasing portability issues.  The actual work on KS isn't hard or
> time-consuming, but setting up all those environments is a PITA.

sounds right to me that you would limit your time this way. Sysadmin-y stuff is
a PITA.