Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Tom Anderson <ta...@infonow.com> on 2003/02/11 08:11:19 UTC

session persistence with multiple webapps

I just discovered another feature of the the JDBCStore.

If your webapps save their own classes in the Session (as webapps are
wont to do), then when JDBCStore runs its checks to clean the database,
it will try to pull in ALL sessions including those from other webapps.
   Becasue the classes from other webapps are not accessible from each
webapp, this causes ClassNotFoundExceptions when it tries to load the
Sessions (before it deletes them).

Now, I realize that I could set up a different table for each webapp to
avoid this problem.   But this is a bit unwieldy in my environment
because we try to put as many webapps on each box as possible with lots
of redundant boxes.   So maintenance of all these tables is an issue.

I would like to propose modifying the JDBCStore to include to a column
in the database for the webapp so that you could set up as many webapps
you want.

Thoughts?

~Tom

Re: session persistence with multiple webapps

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.
Tom Anderson wrote:
> I just discovered another feature of the the JDBCStore.
>
> If your webapps save their own classes in the Session (as webapps are
> wont to do), then when JDBCStore runs its checks to clean the database,
> it will try to pull in ALL sessions including those from other webapps.
>   Becasue the classes from other webapps are not accessible from each
> webapp, this causes ClassNotFoundExceptions when it tries to load the
> Sessions (before it deletes them).
>
> Now, I realize that I could set up a different table for each webapp to
> avoid this problem.   But this is a bit unwieldy in my environment
> because we try to put as many webapps on each box as possible with lots
> of redundant boxes.   So maintenance of all these tables is an issue.
>
> I would like to propose modifying the JDBCStore to include to a column
> in the database for the webapp so that you could set up as many webapps
> you want.
>
> Thoughts?

Not only should the session be scoped by the webapp context, but also
by the Engine and Host names.  Perhaps having a field called location
which contains a directory path like entry which reflects the same
naming convention used for naming the work directory for a web app.

You might also want to look at how this affects Single Sign On.

Regards,

Glenn