Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "Evans, Jess" <JE...@collegeboard.org> on 2006/05/02 16:42:57 UTC

quiet writer throws runtime exception

Hello all,

I'm receiving these errors in our production system.  We have two app.
server instances running in a cluster.  It seems to occur some nights
after midnight, which suggests an issue with rolling.  It occurs
randomly and on one instance only.  Once it starts, every call to log4j
in that container fails with an identical error.

I believe someone stated that log4j doesn't support multiple JVMs
interleaving to a single log file.  Is this correct?  If so, what is the
suggested configuration to allow clustered application server instances
to log to individual files (without having to support a distinct log4j
configuration per instance).

Should the "Quiet" writer be catching these sorts of exceptions rather
than bubbling them up?

Regards,

-Jess

<pno-01> <ExecuteThread: '36' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default'>
<<anonymou
s>> <BEA1-5265D32E7149> <BEA-010051> <EJB Exception occurred during
invocation f
rom home:
org.collegeboard.k12.pno.ordering.persistence.AIPersistence_qqqwie_Hom
eImpl@4e93752 threw exception: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Current
state =
FLUSHED, new state = CODING
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Current state = FLUSHED, new state =
CODING
        at
java.nio.charset.CharsetEncoder.throwIllegalStateException(II)V(Chars
etEncoder.java:???)
        at
java.nio.charset.CharsetEncoder.encode(Ljava.nio.CharBuffer;Ljava.nio
.ByteBuffer;Z)Ljava.nio.charset.CoderResult;(Optimized Method)
        at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder$CharsetSE.implWrite([CII)V(Optimized
Method)
        at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder.write([CII)V(Optimized Method)
        at
sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder.write(Ljava.lang.String;II)V(Optimized Metho
d)
        at
java.io.OutputStreamWriter.write(Ljava.lang.String;II)V(Optimized Met
hod)
        at java.io.Writer.write(Ljava.lang.String;)V(Optimized Method)
        at
org.apache.log4j.helpers.QuietWriter.write(Ljava.lang.String;)V(Quiet
Writer.java:39)
        at
org.apache.log4j.WriterAppender.subAppend(Lorg.apache.log4j.spi.Loggi
ngEvent;)V(WriterAppender.java:292)
        at
org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender.subAppend(Lorg.apache.log4j
.spi.LoggingEvent;)V(DailyRollingFileAppender.java:349)

Re: quiet writer throws runtime exception

Posted by James Stauffer <st...@gmail.com>.
Write to something the works with multiple servers (database, queue,
socket, etc) or write to a file that is dictinct on each server.

--
James Stauffer