Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Geoffrey Myers <li...@serioustechnology.com> on 2012/04/25 17:12:32 UTC

Put a tag in the wrong place

I created a tag in my branches directory, can I simply move it to the
tags directory?  My google foo was not successful.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

the pretense of taking care of them."
- Thomas Jefferson

RE: Put a tag in the wrong place

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Geoffrey Myers
<li...@serioustechnology.com> wrote:

>>> I created a tag in my branches directory, can I simply move it to the
>>> tags
>>> directory?  My google foo was not successful.
>>

>> Yes. Subversion preserves history through copies&  moves.
>

> Thanks, I thought as much, but wanted to get a warm and fuzzy feeling about
> it first.

You can copy the tag to the right place and delete it (or do a move
which does both).   However, the copy will still appear in the wrong
place at the revision where it was committed since the repository
maintains the history.   This is rarely a problem since subversion
handles copies efficiently.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: Put a tag in the wrong place

Posted by Geoffrey Myers <li...@serioustechnology.com>.

Posted by Geoff Hoffman <gh...@cardinalpath.com>.
On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 8:22 AM, Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 11:12, Geoffrey Myers
> <li...@serioustechnology.com> wrote:
> > I created a tag in my branches directory, can I simply move it to the
> tags
> > directory?  My google foo was not successful.
>
> Yes. Subversion preserves history through copies & moves.

If it were me I would just create the tag again (with the correct path info
this time) and svn delete the wrong one.

--

This email, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended
recipient and may contain confidential information. If you are not the

Re: Put a tag in the wrong place

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.