Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM> on 2006/01/09 19:20:31 UTC

[VOTE] Rick Hillegas as a committer

This vote is for establishing Rick Hillegas as a committer for Derby.
Please vote +1 if you approve of Rick as a committer.

I am nominating Rick because he has been consistently contributing to
the Derby project in the following ways:

- He has contributed some very useful patches, working hard to get them
accepted by the community.  His work with the boolean datatype included
submitting a vote to get its addition approved and the patient and
committed work of getting the Open Group to accept BOOLEAN and some
other new types into the DRDA specification.

My inspections of his code have shown clean, well-structured,
well-documented code.
     o DERBY-171 - Correlation ID in UPDATE/DELETE statements
     o DERBY-289 - Wrong result from select when aliasing to same name...
     o DERBY-516 - Backward/forward compatibility testing
     o DERBY-499 - Add support for BOOLEAN datatype

- He has logged numerous improvements and bugs for Derby
http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12310511

See also http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/LuceneIntegration

- He has reviewed patches for others, particularly in the area of JDBC 4
support.

- He has been active on the user list, spending the time to answer user
questions, particularly around the area of the SQL language, where his
background and expertise have been quite valuable.

- He has contributed to the community in other important ways, including
submitted a vote for (and getting approval) to accept JUnit into the
testing environment and aligning DRDA product ids for Cloudscape and
Derby.  He has also paticipated in some important debates and
discussions around Derby product directions and the overall community.

- His overall personality, determination, strong Derby skillset (from
his Cloudscape days), and communications skills are a very good fit for
the team.

Thanks,

David

Re: [VOTE] Rick Hillegas as a committer

Posted by "Bernt M. Johnsen" <Be...@Sun.COM>.
+1

Rick will be good for Derby!

> This vote is for establishing Rick Hillegas as a committer for Derby.
> Please vote +1 if you approve of Rick as a committer.
>
> I am nominating Rick because he has been consistently contributing to
> the Derby project in the following ways:
>
> - He has contributed some very useful patches, working hard to get them
> accepted by the community.  His work with the boolean datatype included
> submitting a vote to get its addition approved and the patient and
> committed work of getting the Open Group to accept BOOLEAN and some
> other new types into the DRDA specification.
>
> My inspections of his code have shown clean, well-structured,
> well-documented code.
>     o DERBY-171 - Correlation ID in UPDATE/DELETE statements
>     o DERBY-289 - Wrong result from select when aliasing to same name...
>     o DERBY-516 - Backward/forward compatibility testing
>     o DERBY-499 - Add support for BOOLEAN datatype
>
> - He has logged numerous improvements and bugs for Derby
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12310511
>
> See also http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/LuceneIntegration
>
> - He has reviewed patches for others, particularly in the area of JDBC 4
> support.
>
> - He has been active on the user list, spending the time to answer user
> questions, particularly around the area of the SQL language, where his
> background and expertise have been quite valuable.
>
> - He has contributed to the community in other important ways, including
> submitted a vote for (and getting approval) to accept JUnit into the
> testing environment and aligning DRDA product ids for Cloudscape and
> Derby.  He has also paticipated in some important debates and
> discussions around Derby product directions and the overall community.
>
> - His overall personality, determination, strong Derby skillset (from
> his Cloudscape days), and communications skills are a very good fit for
> the team.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

> David W Van Couvering                Internet: david.vancouvering@sun.com
> Senior Staff Software Engineer       Work: 510-550-6819
> Sun Microsystems, Inc.;Database Tech Cell: 510-684-7281
>
> Additional information:
>
> Last Name:	Van Couvering
> First Name:	David W

Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway

Re: [VOTE] Rick Hillegas as a committer

Posted by Francois Orsini <fr...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Rick Hillegas as a committer

Posted by Olav Sandstaa <Ol...@Sun.COM>.
"David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM> wrote:
> This vote is for establishing Rick Hillegas as a committer for Derby.
> Please vote +1 if you approve of Rick as a committer.

+1

..olav

Re: [VOTE] Rick Hillegas as a committer

Posted by TomohitoNakayama <to...@basil.ocn.ne.jp>.
+1

--
/*

        Tomohito Nakayama
        tomonaka@basil.ocn.ne.jp
        tomohito@rose.zero.ad.jp
        tmnk@apache.org

        Naka

*/

Re: [VOTE] Rick Hillegas as a committer

Posted by John Embretsen <Jo...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Andreas Korneliussen <An...@Sun.COM>.
+1

Andreas

[VOTE] [RESULT] Rick Hillegas as committer

Posted by David Van Couvering <da...@apache.org>.
Here are the results for the vote to establish Rick Hillegas as a
committer for Derby:

+1:
Lance Andersen
Jeffrey Lichtman
Francois Orsini
Craig Russell (DB PMC)
Jean Anderson (committer, DB PMC)
David Van Couvering (committer, DB PMC)
Tomohito Nakayama (committer, DB PMC)
Jeremy Boynes (committer)
Andrew McIntyre (committer)
V Narayanan
Daniel Debrunner (committer, DB PMC)
Bernt Johnsen (committer)
Olav Sandstaa
Knut Anders Hatlen
Øystein Grøvlen
John Embretsen
Andreas Korneliussen
Kristian Waagan
Dag Wanvik
Ole Solberg
Satheesh Bandaram (committer)
Mike Matrigali (committer)
Suresh Thalamati
Mamta Samtoor
Manjula Kutty
Øyvind Bakksjo (committer)
Kathey Marsden (committer)

0:
none

-1:
none

This means that Rick is now a new committer for the Derby project.
Congratulations, Rick!

David

Posted by V Narayanan - Sun Microsystems - Bangalore India <V....@Sun.COM>.
+1

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Lance J. Andersen" <La...@Sun.COM>.
+1

Posted by Mike Matrigali <mi...@sbcglobal.net>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Rick Hillegas as a committer

Posted by Øystein Grøvlen <Oy...@Sun.COM>.

    DWVC> This  vote  is for  establishing  Rick  Hillegas  as a  committer  for
    DWVC> Derby. Please vote +1 if you approve of Rick as a committer.

+1

--
Øystein

Re: [VOTE] Rick Hillegas as a committer

Posted by Jeffrey Lichtman <sw...@rcn.com>.
>This vote is for establishing Rick Hillegas as a committer for
>Derby. Please vote +1 if you approve of Rick as a committer.

+1

                        -        Jeff Lichtman
                                 swazoo@rcn.com
                                 http://swazoo.com/

Re: [VOTE] Rick Hillegas as a committer

Posted by Satheesh Bandaram <sa...@Sourcery.Org>.
+1, based on Rick's technical work and knowledge. He also brings right
kind of humor and flair to the group!

Satheesh

Posted by Manjula G Kutty <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Mamta Satoor <ms...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Suresh Thalamati <su...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
I forgot to mention, this vote will close at noon PST on Monday, January
16th.

David

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 9, 2006, at 10:20 AM, David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> This vote is for establishing Rick Hillegas as a committer for
> Derby. Please vote +1 if you approve of Rick as a committer.

+1

andrew

Re: [VOTE] Rick Hillegas as a committer

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
+1

Posted by Knut Anders Hatlen <Kn...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> This vote is for establishing Rick Hillegas as a committer for Derby.
> Please vote +1 if you approve of Rick as a committer.

+1

I have to say,  I thought long and hard about this one.  My life as
advocate for the installed user base  has been much more challenging
since Rick came on the scene.  It  will become even more challenging in
"commit then review"  mode.    Still,  I think that Rick is a talented
engineer who can  move the technology forward rapidly.  While that is
not my focus,  I do realize that this is important to the long term
success of the product.  I  only ask that *any* proposed product
behaviour changes (even perceived edge cases) be posted to the list for
community evaluation and notification.   Users have to be able to
upgrade with the confidence that their applications will still work.

Kathey

Re: [VOTE] Rick Hillegas as a committer

Posted by "Dag H. Wanvik" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
David W. Van Couvering wrote:
> This vote is for establishing Rick Hillegas as a committer for Derby.
> Please vote +1 if you approve of Rick as a committer.

+1

Dag

Re: [VOTE] Rick Hillegas as a committer

Posted by Kristian Waagan <Kr...@Sun.COM>.
David W. Van Couvering wrote:
> This vote is for establishing Rick Hillegas as a committer for Derby.
> Please vote +1 if you approve of Rick as a committer.

[snip]

+1

--
Kristian

Re: [VOTE] Rick Hillegas as a committer

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
David W. Van Couvering wrote:
> This vote is for establishing Rick Hillegas as a committer for Derby.
> Please vote +1 if you approve of Rick as a committer.

  +1

  -jean

Re: [VOTE] Rick Hillegas as a committer

Posted by Ole Solberg <Ol...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.
David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> This vote is for establishing Rick Hillegas as a committer for Derby.
> Please vote +1 if you approve of Rick as a committer.

+1

As David indicates Rick has been a useful and active contributor on
numerous fronts for Derby.

Dan.