Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Jakob Korherr <ja...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/21 11:29:16 UTC

[DISCUSS] Integration test module for MyFaces core

Hi guys,

We successfully created an integration-test webapp for MyFaces CODI a
few weeks ago and I would like to add this stuff also to MyFaces core.

The module in CODI [1] is a standard war-artifact which uses Cargo [2]
to start and stop the container and HtmlUnit [3] as the "browser".
This means that you can run automated integration-tests against the
webapp, but also use mvn jetty:run-exploded to manually click through
it. Thus you can also see it as a bunch of examples.

For the module in MyFaces core I would like it only to be included if
you add a specific profile, e.g. -Pintegrationtest. Thus the module
will not automatically be executed in every maven build and will not
be part of a core-release. However, on hudson it will be executed in
the nightly builds.

In addition the module in MyFaces core will consist of more then one
webapp, because we have to handle different environment scenarios
(bean validation available, el 2.2 available,..).

I hope that you all agree that this will help us a lot in preventing
and fixing bugs, which can not really be tested by standard JUnit
tests.

Regards,
Jakob

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/myfaces/extensions/cdi/trunk/test-modules/cargo-test-module/
[2] http://cargo.codehaus.org/Maven2+plugin
[3] http://htmlunit.sourceforge.net/

--
Jakob Korherr

blog: http://www.jakobk.com
work: http://www.irian.at

Re: [DISCUSS] Integration test module for MyFaces core

Posted by Jakob Korherr <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I just created the related project on apache-extras:
http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/myfaces-core-examples/

I also transfered the owners and committers from our existing
apache-extras projects to this one.

I will commit the initial structure and some basic examples + tests
soon. Feel free to contribute!!

Regards,
Jakob

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.
++++++++++1

Posted by Gerhard <ge...@gmail.com>.
+1

esp. for our sub-projects, it would be nice if we host the examples at
apache-extras and just use them for the integration tests.
i would also use this approach for myfaces-core examples.

regards,
gerhard

http://www.irian.at

Your JSF powerhouse -