Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Chanh Le <gi...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/08 03:19:13 UTC

Any ways to connect BI tool to Spark without Hive

Hi everyone,
Currently we use Zeppelin to analytics our data and because of using SQL it’s hard to distribute for users use. But users are using some kind of Oracle BI tools to analytic because it support some kinds of drag and drop and we can do some kind of permitted for each user.
Our architecture is Spark, Alluxio, Zeppelin. Because We want to share what we have done in Zeppelin to business users.

Is there any way to do that?

Thanks.

Re: Any ways to connect BI tool to Spark without Hive

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
Tableau has its own Tableau server that stores reports prepared not data.
It does not cache data. What users do is to access Tableau server from
their Tableau client and use reports. You still need to get data out from
the persistent store. I have not heard of Tableau having its own storage
layer. As far as I know it still accesses the database. I don't know what
you mean by caching data. Some of these reports are quite heavy.

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com

such loss, damage or destruction.

Posted by ayan guha <gu...@gmail.com>.
Yes, absolutely. You need to "save" the table using saveAsTable function.
Underlying storage is HDFS or any other storage and you are basically using
spark's embedded hive services (when you do not have hadoop in the set up).

Think STS as a JDBC server in front of your datastore. STS runs as a spark
application so you can also monitor it using Spark master UI, assuming you
are using standalone cluster.

--
Best Regards,
Ayan Guha

Re: Any ways to connect BI tool to Spark without Hive

Posted by Chanh Le <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ayan,

Posted by ayan guha <gu...@gmail.com>.
Hi

> [...]

> that Oracle BI tool use Spark and Alluxio and leave Zeppelin at one side.
>
> Zeppelin as I used it a while back may not do what Oracle BI tool does. So
> the presentation layer has to be Oracle BI tool.
>
> HTH
>

> Dr Mich Talebzadeh

> http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com

> such loss, damage or destruction.
>

> On 8 July 2016 at 04:19, Chanh Le <gi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>> Currently we use Zeppelin to analytics our data and because of using SQL
>> it’s hard to distribute for users use. But users are using some kind of
>> Oracle BI tools to analytic because it support some kinds of drag and drop
>> and we can do some kind of permitted for each user.
>> Our architecture is Spark, Alluxio, Zeppelin. Because We want to share
>> what we have done in Zeppelin to business users.

Best Regards,
Ayan Guha

Re: Any ways to connect BI tool to Spark without Hive

Posted by Chanh Le <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mich,

Actually technical users they can write some kind of complex machine learning things in the future too so that why zeppelin is promising.

> Those business users. Do they Oracle BI (OBI) to connect to DW like Oracle now?
Yes, they are. Our data is still storing in Oracle but It’s becoming bigger and bigger everyday and some queries can’t execute in Oracle then we’re moving to another storage and using Spark to query.

> I have also Hive running on Spark engine that makes such a solution easier by allowing users to connect to Hive and execute their queries. You want to provide a fast retrieval system for your users. Your case is interesting as you have two parallel stack here.

So It means I still need to setup Hive and Hadoop? Because our resource is limited. We need to spend memory and cpu for Spark and Alluxio almost.

Thanks & regards,
Chanh

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
Interesting  Chanh