Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com> on 2002/01/23 23:31:16 UTC

Changes to Batik.

Folks,

You may or may not know of one of my projects - Jesktop.  It is a
desktop OS like layer for Java.  A current impl sits on top of Avalon (a
Jakarta project). I had previously forked Batik and made it installable
into Jesktop.  In order to do this last year I have to decouple use of
JFrame and make things more beanlike.  Essentially if the components of
Batik were just JPanels etc, they could be placed in a number of
containers.  You folks would need JFrame as a container, I would need
JFrimble, but there could be a third type - JApplet that might want to
contain Batik.

What I am proposing is a set of the changes to Batik that make it more
beanlike so that it is reusable in multiple visual environments.  I
don't intend to code in Jesktop concepts or depend on Jesktop APIs, I'm
just proposing a couple of steps of modularisation while not diminishing
its ability to launch from the command line as at present.

These are the classes that refer to JFrame:
  apps.slideshow.Main
  apps.svgbrowser.AboutDialog
  apps.svgbrowser.JSVGViewerFrame
  util.gui.CSSMediaPanel
  util.gui.DOMViewer
  util.gui.LanguageDialog
  util.gui.MemoryMonitor
  util.gui.URIChooser
  util.gui.UserStyleDialog

If you are willing I could start submitting patches to this list....

See also .....
    http://jesktop.sourceforge.net/
    http://jesktopapps.sourceforge.net/

Incidentally I am an Apache person, most active in jakarta-avalon but
also in jakarta-commons.

Regards,

- Paul H