Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Gary McIver <ta...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2014/06/01 18:55:24 UTC

Spellchecker not working.

Dear Sir/Madam,
                          I have been using your wonderful product for over 5 years now and have been extremely pleased with it, until yesterday. I started to write a letter and typed in a word that, when reviewing it, was obviously mis-spelt, but there was no red line under it telling me so. I tried another word which was another obvious mistake and it missed that too. The AutoSpellcheck button is on my toolbar, and is highlighted as "on", and when I click on the Spelling and Grammar button I am told that everything is O.K. I am using English (UK) and have spent the whole weekend trying to fix the problem (forums, questions etc) without success. Can you help me please?

Yours sincerely,

Gary James McIver.

P.S. I even tried uninstalling version 4.1.0. and reverting to version 4.0.0. but that did not work either.

Re: Spellchecker not working.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 17:55:24 +0100 (BST)
Gary McIver <ta...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam,
>                           I have been using your wonderful product for over 5 years now and have been extremely pleased with it, until yesterday. I started to write a letter and typed in a word that, when reviewing it, was obviously mis-spelt, but there was no red line under it telling me so. I tried another word which was another obvious mistake and it missed that too. The AutoSpellcheck button is on my toolbar, and is highlighted as "on", and when I click on the Spelling and Grammar button I am told that everything is O.K. I am using English (UK) and have spent the whole weekend trying to fix the problem (forums, questions etc) without success. Can you help me please?
>

> Yours sincerely,
>
> Gary James McIver.
>

> P.S. I even tried uninstalling version 4.1.0. and reverting to version 4.0.0. but that did not work either.

Uninstalling/reinstalling does not affect the User Profile, which is where the error resides. Delete or rename your OpenOffice User Profile and start up OpenOffice again. This cures most spellcheck problems. Details on the User Profile are given at
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426

If that doesn't work, come back to the Forum at
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum
for further help.
--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>