Posted to users@maven.apache.org by as...@netcom.no on 2003/02/26 13:02:34 UTC

Maven in a read-only SCM

I'm about to roll out Maven as *the* build tool for a large company
that uses ClearCase. We have to store Maven (core + plugins) in
ClearCase, and that brings up some problems:

For the users, ClearCase behaves as a read-only file system. Plain
users will not be able to modify or create files in the place where we
plan to store Maven (in a ClearCase VOB).

I have been able to hack the driver.properties file so that the local
repository is built on the regular hard drive of each developer's
machine, and not next to the plugins dir. Something like this:

c:\
+--maven
   +--repository

z:\ (ClearCase)
+--maven
   +--plugins

This separation works fine. However, I still have a problem, because
Maven wants to write the various *.cache files in the same folder as
the plugins. That fails, since everything under z:\ here is read-only.

What I would like to see is an option to override where cache files
should be written and read. I want them in c:\maven.

In order to add support for this to Maven I have figured two things are
needed:
1) A new get/setCacheDir() in PluginCacheManager.
2) A new property in driver.properties

This is a rather small patch that I can contribute. -But I'd like to
hear what others think about it first.

Cheers,
Aslak

RE: Maven in a read-only SCM

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 15:19, Aslak Hellesøy wrote:

> > > This is a rather small patch that I can contribute. -But I'd like to
> > > hear what others think about it first.
> >
> > Vincent proposed this some time ago and I don't have a problem with
> > allowing the specification of a directorying where plugins are expanded
> > or where the cache files are created. I don't see any downside to
> > providing options for these.
> >

> I have uploade a patch for this in JIRA:
>
> http://jira.werken.com/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=MAVEN-302
>
> This patch lets people burn Maven on a CD and run it straight off from
> it. -Or from a read-only SCM such as a company-wide ClearCase. The
> documentation is also updated. I hope you like it and apply it ;-)

Cool, life at home here has returned to some semblance of normality so
I'll take a peek tomorrow afternoon. Thanks!

> Aslak

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

RE: Maven in a read-only SCM

Posted by Aslak Hellesøy <as...@netcom.no>.

Re: Maven in a read-only SCM

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 07:02, aslak.hellesoy@netcom.no wrote:
> I'm about to roll out Maven as *the* build tool for a large company
> that uses ClearCase. We have to store Maven (core + plugins) in
> ClearCase, and that brings up some problems:
>
> For the users, ClearCase behaves as a read-only file system. Plain
> users will not be able to modify or create files in the place where we
> plan to store Maven (in a ClearCase VOB).
>
> I have been able to hack the driver.properties file so that the local
> repository is built on the regular hard drive of each developer's
> machine, and not next to the plugins dir. Something like this:
>
> c:\
> +--maven
>    +--repository
>
> z:\ (ClearCase)
> +--maven
>    +--plugins
>
> This separation works fine. However, I still have a problem, because
> Maven wants to write the various *.cache files in the same folder as
> the plugins. That fails, since everything under z:\ here is read-only.
>
> What I would like to see is an option to override where cache files
> should be written and read. I want them in c:\maven.
>
> In order to add support for this to Maven I have figured two things are
> needed:
> 1) A new get/setCacheDir() in PluginCacheManager.
> 2) A new property in driver.properties
>
> This is a rather small patch that I can contribute. -But I'd like to
> hear what others think about it first.

Vincent proposed this some time ago and I don't have a problem with
allowing the specification of a directorying where plugins are expanded
or where the cache files are created. I don't see any downside to
providing options for these.

> Cheers,
> Aslak

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

RE: Maven in a read-only SCM

Posted by Aslak Hellesoy <as...@netcom.no>.

Sure I could. Or rather - every single project in this big company where I'm
rolling out Maven could do that. I did the change in driver.properties
(inside maven.jar) to save them the pain.

In this Maven installation (which lives in ClearCase and is read-only to
most people) I also changed maven.build.dir in driver.properties to point to
the harddisk (and not relative to where the project's sources are).

For those of you who don't know ClearCase: It's like a virtual file
system. -And sometimes this file system is read-only (depending on your
credentials). Therefore it's sometimes necessary to avoid writing ANYTHING
to the file system where Maven or the project lives.

It would be nice if you could keep this in the back of your head. (Just
imagine that it should be possible to burn Maven and a project that uses it
on a CD-ROM and still be able to build).

Final word: I hate ClearCase and I love Maven!

Aslak

> --
> dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
> Blog:      http://www.freeroller.net/page/dion/Weblog

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> turbine-maven-user-help@jakarta.apache.org

Re: Maven in a read-only SCM

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.

Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

Re: Can remote repositories be secured ?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 08:11, Age Mooy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been asked by my boss whether we can secure (SSL or even a simple
> username/password login) our own maven repository where we deploy our
> internal project jars... is this possible with Maven b8 ? If not, is that a
> concious design descision or just because it hasn't been done (yet) ?

I added simple auth to the repository for Mike Cannon-Brookes but I
don't think anyone has really tested it. As far as SSL support as long
as you setup your repository correctly and make sure the correct
providers are initialize for SSL there should be nothing stopping you
from using SSL.

> Age

jvz.

Jason van Zyl