Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by su...@trentend.com on 2007/08/18 13:42:34 UTC

Help requested from developers, implementers, and end users....

Firstly let me say that I hope that this is not considered an
intrusive approach.  Please feel free to contact me at: survey at
trentend dot com  if you wish to discuss any aspect of this with me.

I am undertaking academic research into the application of open source
ERP systems into the small and medium enterprise.  The intention is to
consider the suitability of such systems, and compare them with
similar proprietary systems.  I am a proponent of Open Source business
systems in general, and ERP in particular.  I believe it has a
substantial, and increasing, role to play in the enterprise, and I
wish to explore and promote that view.

I have prepared a short survey, which will hopefully provide a
valuable insight into the perception and preparedness for Open Source
systems to take on the more established proprietary systems.

It would be of significant assistance to me, if as many people as
possible would be able to take the very short time required to fill in
this anonymous survey.  Ultimately it is hoped the research will
benefit the community, in return, by increased profile and increased
formal recognition.

The survey can be found at:
[url]http://trentend.com/phpESP/public/survey.php?name=OSERP[/url]

or via the tiny url of: [url]http://tinyurl.com/3dptnp[/url]

The tiny url can be previewed at:

     [url]http://preview.tinyurl.com/3dptnp[/url]

Please feel free to circulate this request to anyone who may have an
involvement with ERP systems, and who would be prepared to fill out
the survey.  The more respondents, the more valuable the information
which can be drawn from it.  The survey will run for approximately one
week from this posting.

Background
-------------

Currently the author is involved in academic research, as part of a
higher degree in Business Management, into the use of Open Source ERP
systems in the enterprise. He is responsible for implementation and
maintenance of a proprietary Manufacturing Resource Planning (MRP)
system, which is licensed on a monthly cycle.  It is the intention to
replace this system with an Open Source Enterprise Resource Planning
(ERP) system in the mid to long term.    The author is a proponent of
Open Source in general, and Open Source ERP systems in particular.  It
is hoped that this research will provide some insight into the
position of Open Source ERP's in the market place, and the perception
of it's suitability.  It is also hoped to raise the formal profile of
ERP systems as serious tools in the Enterprise.

This research can be made available to interested members of the
community, as a .pdf file, after publication.  Please apply to the
author at survey at trentend dot com, and your email address will be
retained, and a link to the completed paper distributed to those
interested parties.  This is the only purpose for which such email
addresses would be used. The survey itself is anonymous, and does not
require email validation.  There is no need to provide any such
details, if you prefer not to.

Completing this survey will take you little time - it's seven simple
questions, does not require you to write anything (the required
elements are check box, or radio button, questions) - genuinely no
more than five minutes of your time.  It will be of an enormous
assistance to me, and ultimately will ensure that your views are
represented in the completed research.  I hope you will consider this
valuable contribution, an insignificant hardship.

In the meantime, keep up the good work.  Open Source business systems
are held in very high regard, and are extremely valuable to those of
us who believe organisations (particularly the small and medium sized
enterprise) should remain free from limitations imposed by proprietary
licensing.

By completing this survey, you may help a wider audience consider the
value of this approach on a wider scale.

Thanks again,

Paul Chambers

Re: Help requested from developers, implementers, and end users....

Posted by su...@trentend.com.
Just a quick thank you to the few people from the community who have
taken the time to fill in my survey. I think it's fair to say that the
response has been a little disappointing overall, but not entirely
unexpected.

There is just a day left, for anyone who wishes to contribute.

Thank you for your patience and tolerance, and good luck with the
development of your project and businesses.

I will circulate distribution details of the finished report in due
course to those who requested it.

Thanks
Paul Chambers

Quoting survey@trentend.com: