Posted to dev@royale.apache.org by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net> on 2019/03/04 07:23:46 UTC

Re: WebComponents and WebAssembly, a game changer!?

Hi guys,
many thanks for your inputs!

Regarding Royale, I am pretty sure that it is the first choice when you have
to migrate large Flex applications. But what's about new applications?
In order to answer this question for us, we already started with
implementing a new, small app by using Royale. I will share some results,
but it will take some weeks because we don't work on this full time.

Anyway, keeping an eye on the evolvements in the web world I think that the
way how the world will build web applications will change. It will be
exciting to see what happens and if application frameworks will have the
same status as today.
However, as Alex mentioned, I guess the perfect answer is that there is no
perfect answer.

Thanks,
Olaf

--
Sent from: http://apache-royale-development.20373.n8.nabble.com/

Re: WebComponents and WebAssembly, a game changer!?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

On 3/4/19, 1:01 AM, "Carlos Rovira" <ca...@apache.org> wrote:

    Royale seems to me more like an option for the future, as a technology and
    a foundation that you could use for years and years, so you can target JS
    now, but WEBASM in the future.
    But all of this remains in the success of Royale. Since if we don't attract
    talent to make lots of this happen, maybe will not be better than other
    options, and even more risky.

    Making Royale moving forward and evolving with all the things we all now is
    very difficult. We need people interested in make this happen and investing
    time in tasks that are not easy to get.

Yep, getting more folks to contribute code is key.  One thing I wish we could get more folks to realize is that the Apache model has a very low bar for contribution.  If you want to write a bead that tweaks one small thing, we'll accept it.  Some of the other more corporate-driven projects may not.  That's one of the reasons for beads.  It allows small contributions that should have little impact on the rest of the framework.

My 2 cents,
-Alex

Re: WebComponents and WebAssembly, a game changer!?

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Olaf,

El lun., 4 mar. 2019 a las 8:23, Olaf Krueger (<ma...@olafkrueger.net>)
escribió:

> However, as Alex mentioned, I guess the perfect answer is that there is no
> perfect answer.

I think that's the great point. You can go with Royale, React, Angula,
Vue,... and all options has its pros and cons
so there's no perfect solution. React has many people behind, Facebook,
docs, you can find people that knows all libs that you need to work with
but has many other problems.

Royale seems to me more like an option for the future, as a technology and
a foundation that you could use for years and years, so you can target JS
now, but WEBASM in the future.
But all of this remains in the success of Royale. Since if we don't attract
talent to make lots of this happen, maybe will not be better than other
options, and even more risky.

Making Royale moving forward and evolving with all the things we all now is
very difficult. We need people interested in make this happen and investing
time in tasks that are not easy to get.
But when that happen is really amazing. If I think in how far we reach
since end of 2017 to these days, I think all is possible. Think all the
work done through this pass year... think how far we could go
in one more year.... I think possibilities are endless. We just need people
coming and joining, and Apache Royale could be an amazing tech to use.

One latest thought. For me React is a cool tech, but I think is just a
library and some other companion libs and is only in the JS realm. So for
me it seems the scope of React is almost done, and what about 5 years in
the future?
Will be React still be the king? And people that are investing now in
React? Should they migrate to the new trend (maybe Webasm?) when world says
that's the new tech to go?

I expect Royale would allow us to add other target, that we'll be difficult
and time consuming, but its all about Royale, and we must to see how to
adapt libs (Jewel,...) to output that new targets, and then adapt our apps
to target that new targets too. But other folks using JS libs...will need
to rewrite *all* from scratch...again...

In the other hand, going with those JS libs for a new app, is the most easy
and less risk solution today without no doubt.

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira