Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by karthik kn <ke...@gmail.com> on 2016/12/19 10:44:05 UTC

Reg vulnerability for Server State saving

Hi,
I am using myfaces-1.1.5 and using the following state saving method

<context-param><param-name>javax.faces.STATE_SAVING_METHOD</param-name><param-value>server</param-value></context-param>

However,i see that the object identifier is being sent to the server as
following

<input type="hidden" name="javax.faces.ViewState"
id="javax.faces.ViewState"
value="rO0ABXVyABNbTGphdmEubGFuZy5PYmplY3Q7kM5YnxBzKWwCAAB4cAAAAAN0AAEzcHQAJi9qc3AvaGxyL2FjX3N1YnNjcmliZXIvY3J0U2luZ2xlQUMuanNw"
/></form>

This is the serialized object identifier sent over the network

We are using only https and not http.

Does sending this serialized object identifier without encrypting open any
vulnerability which the attacker could use to his/her advantage ?

--
-------------------------
Thanks & Regards

Karthik.K.N

Re: Reg vulnerability for Server State saving

Posted by Leonardo Uribe <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi

It is in the wiki page. See org.apache.myfaces.ALGORITHM.IV web config
param for details.

If you want to take a look at the class where the encryption happens, see
org.apache.myfaces.shared.util.StateUtils in

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/myfaces/core/trunk/shared/src/main/java/org/apache/myfaces/shared/util/StateUtils.java

regards,

Leonardo Uribe

Posted by karthik kn <ke...@gmail.com>.
Any thoughts on the below ?

--
-------------------------

Posted by karthik kn <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

--
-------------------------

Posted by Thomas Andraschko <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by karthik kn <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

--
-------------------------

Posted by karthik kn <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Moritz Bechler <be...@agno3.eu>.
Hi,

> Thank you for clarification. Using the secret mentioned in the below page
> would suffice or there is some mechanism to generate the SECRET ?

You must not use the keys specified on this page but generate your own
secret ones. An attacker using the same key can then produce a valid
ViewState token containing an exploit. Also, as noted on the security
page and by Leonardo, version up to and including 1.1.7, 1.2.8, 2.0.0
are vulnerable to padding oracle attacks (I haven't had a close look but
I would be pretty sure that also applies to server side state saving).
That means that an attacker may be able to create such tokens without
the knowledge of the key - again allowing for the same exploits.

So I guess there is no way to be really safe without upgrading.

Moritz

PS: you also might want to consider using something stronger than DES.

--
AgNO3 GmbH & Co. KG, Sitz T�bingen, Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRA 728731
Pers�nlich haftend:

Posted by karthik kn <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
Thank you for clarification. Using the secret mentioned in the below page
would suffice or there is some mechanism to generate the SECRET ?

https://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/Secure_Your_Application

<context-param>
<param-name>org.apache.myfaces.SECRET</param-name>
<param-value>MDEyMzQ1Njc4OTAxMjM0NTY3ODkwMTIz</param-value>
</context-param>    <context-param>
<param-name>org.apache.myfaces.ALGORITHM</param-name>
<param-value>AES</param-value>    </context-param>    <context-param>
      <param-name>org.apache.myfaces.ALGORITHM.PARAMETERS</param-name>
       <param-value>CBC/PKCS5Padding</param-value>    </context-param>
   <context-param>
<param-name>org.apache.myfaces.ALGORITHM.IV</param-name>
<param-value>NzY1NDMyMTA3NjU0MzIxMA==</param-value>
</context-param>

Posted by Moritz Bechler <be...@agno3.eu>.
Hi,

Posted by karthik kn <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
Currently we are not in a position to update to 1.1.8 as the change would
require a upgrade of legacy software.

With just 1.1.5,based on the below, it has been mentioned that it is ok to
use "Server" for state saving. Based on this, can you clarify that
encryption is not required for server state saving.

However, in the wiki I see the following

Security configuration for Myfaces Core 1.1.7, 1.2.8, 2.0.0 and earlier

When using client side state saving, the UI object model is serialized and
rendered with the response. This is behavior controlled by the following
context parameter.

    <context-param>
<param-name>javax.faces.STATE_SAVING_METHOD</param-name>
<param-value>client</param-value>     </context-param>

One consequence of client side state saving is that anyone with a decoder
and some time to kill can reconstruct the UI object model on the client
side. This can be a problem for those of us who make use of the excellent
t:saveState <http://myfaces.apache.org/tomahawk/uiSaveState.html> tag.

*Users of myfaces core version 1.1.7, 1.2.8, 2.0.0 and earlier MUST use
server side state saving instead to prevent padding oracle attack on view
state.*

Enabling encryption is as easy as putting the following context parameter
in your deployment descriptor. There are two things to note here. First,
this uses the default encryption algorithm, DES
<http://www.itl.nist.gov/fipspubs/fip46-2.htm>, so the secret must have a
size of eight. Second, although the secret is actually "76543210", we do
not put this directly in the deployment descriptor. Instead, we place it's
base 64 encoded value. This annoying extra step in the process is required
so that secrets are not limited to printable character values.

--

Posted by Leonardo Uribe <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi