Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Joseph Ferner <jo...@cox.net> on 2003/10/03 22:38:15 UTC

Problem using jpath and xsp tags together (possible bug or just misunderstanding)

The Problem:
I'm trying to create an xml document using xsp and jpath that looks like
this:
<root>
  <element value="myval">
    <subelement/>
  </element>
  <element>
    <subelement/>
  </element>
</root>

The object I'm pulling from will either return null or another object
which has the string in it (in this case "myval")

So I wrote code like this (xsp):
<root>
  <jpath:for-each select="elems">
    <element>
      <jpath:if test="./someObject">
        <xsp:attribute name="value">
          <jpath:value-of select="./someObject/myString"/>
        </xsp:attribute>
      </jpath:if>
	<subelement/>
    </element>
  </jpath:for-each>
</root>

I get this from the above code: (the value is in the wrong element)
<root>
  <element>
    <subelement value="myval"/>
  </element>
  <element>
    <subelement/>
  </element>
</root>

So then I tried this:
<root>
  <jpath:for-each select="elems">
    <element>
      <xsp:attribute name="value">
        <jpath:if test="./someObject">
          <jpath:value-of select="./someObject/myString"/>
        </jpath:if>
      </xsp:attribute>
	<subelement/>
    </element>
  </jpath:for-each>
</root>

And I get this every time: (no value)
<root>
  <element value="">
    <subelement/>
  </element>
  <element value="">
    <subelement/>
  </element>
</root>

I then looked at the generated java code for the second try and the
jpath code is never generated in the java file.

Joseph Ferner