Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Leo Donahue - PLANDEVX <Le...@mail.maricopa.gov> on 2008/02/06 16:57:50 UTC

servlet spec, taglibs, java sdk - which ones?

Looking here: http://tomcat.apache.org/whichversion.html - no problems,
except we run Tomcat 5.0.28 and reading below in the site it says

<quote>
Apache Tomcat 5.5.x. It supports the same Servlet and JSP Specification
versions as Apache Tomcat 5.0.x,
</quote>

Which is what servlet spec version?

I've figured out the taglib question:
http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/doc/standard-doc/intro.html

Standard 1.1 is at least servlet 2.4 and Standard 1.0 is servlet 2.3

I downloaded the Standard 1.1 taglibs from here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/downloads/downloads_taglibs-standard.cgi

I'm reading the text from Oreily Java Server Pages and I'm trying to
produce a jsp page using standard <jsp:set/get> actions, but I get an
error message which I'm sure means I have the wrong taglib downloaded,
or does it mean something else?

javax.servlet.ServletException: Employee (Unsupported major.minor
version 50.0)

Leo Donahue

RE: servlet spec, taglibs, java sdk - which ones?

Posted by Leo Donahue - PLANDEVX <Le...@mail.maricopa.gov>.
That's pretty funny Chuck.

I'm glad to see the security of our nation rests in your illogical
nonsense.

Chuck, I'm imagining something, can you make it done for me?

Leo Donahue

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Leo Donahue - PLANDEVX [mailto:LeoDonahue@mail.maricopa.gov]
> Subject: RE: servlet spec, taglibs, java sdk - which ones?
>
> That table doesn't mention what spec Tomcat 5.0.x uses.

Let's see if we can do the math:

"Servlet/JSP Spec  Apache Tomcat version
"2.4/2.0           5.5.x"

"[5.5] supports the same Servlet and JSP Specification versions as
Apache Tomcat 5.0.x"

So if spec(5.5) == "2.4/2.0" and spec(5.5) == spec(5.0), then spec(5.0)
== ??

Posted by Leo Donahue - PLANDEVX <Le...@mail.maricopa.gov>.
Yes I saw that, and like I mentioned in my email, I don't run Tomcat
5.5.x, I'm stuck using Tomcat 5.0.28
That table doesn't mention what spec Tomcat 5.0.x uses.  Does it mean
any version from 4.1.36 to 5.5.25 uses servlet spec 2.3 ?

Leo Donahue

There's a very nice table right on the home page for tomcat letting you
know what tomcat version supports what spec -- http://tomcat.apache.org/

--David

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Leo Donahue - PLANDEVX [mailto:LeoDonahue@mail.maricopa.gov]
> Subject: servlet spec, taglibs, java sdk - which ones?
>
> <quote>
> Apache Tomcat 5.5.x. It supports the same Servlet and JSP
> Specification
> versions as Apache Tomcat 5.0.x,
> </quote>
>
> Which is what servlet spec version?

The one boldly displayed in the table on the Tomcat main page:
http://tomcat.apache.org/

> javax.servlet.ServletException: Employee (Unsupported major.minor
> version 50.0)

You're trying to use a .class file built with a 1.6 JDK on a 1.5 JVM.