Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com> on 2007/01/08 23:46:56 UTC

Web site

I have started to update the site based on the list discussion we had
end of last year. http://incubator.apache.org/qpid/ now redirects to the
cwiki. thanks to some help from Dan I have also added in left side
navigation, created some of the web site pages we need and fix the
navigation for the site export format. The wiki as 5:30 EST has been
exported to the static html pages.

Feedback on what is done so far is welcome. I should hopefully get art
from our design team soon and will try get most of the remaining move
around and basic pages in soon.

Enjoy.
Carl.

Re: Web site

Posted by Rupert Smith <ru...@googlemail.com>.
This is a great improvement. Being new to something can let you see things
in the way that other people who are also looking at it for the first time
will see it. My first impression of the old site was not good; enticing
links to documentation that turn out to be links to placeholder pages with
nothing in them. The sort of thing that instantly turns me off an open
source project. This actually looks like a live project with an up to date
site now.

A suggested improvement: Can there be a search box that searches just the
qpid wiki space? The google search applies accross all Apache cwikis.

Rupert

RE: Becoming a committer

Posted by Tomas Restrepo <to...@devdeo.com>.
Carl,

> There has been some discussion of the PPMC list to work out our policy
> for becoming a committer for Qpid, or what the bar is we want to use for
> Qpid moving forward. From the discussion so far we would like new
> committers to have provided meaningful contribution to the project.
>
> The key question is what do we consider to be meaningful contribution to
> be come a committer. Once we set that bar we need to use that for
> everyone moving forward. It is probably better to be more conservative
> in general with adding new committers.
>
> To this end we are thinking that we should see if someone consistently
> provides quality development through patches and interactions with the
> project over a period or 1 to 2 months. Based on that the PPMC will vote
> the new committers onto the project.

As an "outsider" and newcomer to the project, the proposal sounds very
reasonable to me...

Tomas Restrepo
tomas.restrepo@devdeo.com
http://www.winterdom.com/weblog/

Re: Becoming a committer

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Posted on getting involved page... please make sure I captured all the
comments in this thread correctly.

Carl.

Re: Becoming a committer

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: Becoming a committer

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Cliff,

Re: Becoming a committer

Posted by Cliff Schmidt <cl...@gmail.com>.

Becoming a committer

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
There has been some discussion of the PPMC list to work out our policy
for becoming a committer for Qpid, or what the bar is we want to use for
Qpid moving forward. From the discussion so far we would like new
committers to have provided meaningful contribution to the project.

The key question is what do we consider to be meaningful contribution to
be come a committer. Once we set that bar we need to use that for
everyone moving forward. It is probably better to be more conservative
in general with adding new committers.

To this end we are thinking that we should see if someone consistently
provides quality development through patches and interactions with the
project over a period or 1 to 2 months. Based on that the PPMC will vote
the new committers onto the project.

Is there any additional feedback to what the PPMC has come up with, or
anything else that you think we should consider?

Regards
Carl.

Re: Web site

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
> I strongly agree. Right now, a committer is a committer, regardless of
> their actual contribution. The problem with listing only those that
> you've personally deemed worthy to be listed is that you'd need to
> stay on top of that list and modify it accordingly on at least a
> weekly basis, and also I think any changes to it would require voting,
> to be fair, which is all way too much overhead. When Qpid graduates,
> my understanding is that the committer list will be pared down
> according to actual contribution, so let's leave it until then.
>
> --steve
Good point,
I will update based on Carma for the top table. I also do think it is
meaningful to have a table to list those that have contributed but not
committers. we could update that once a month or something like that.

Carl.

Re: Web site

Posted by Steve Vinoski <vi...@iona.com>.
On Jan 10, 2007, at 7:07 PM, Cliff Schmidt wrote:

> On 1/9/07, Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> 3. I have created the people page. I used the Geronimo template and
>> modified a bit given our
>> incubator status. Please update your origination if you want it. I
>> got
>> the list of names by working though
>> the achieve to see who has substantial contributed (definition of
>> this
>> could be debated, but I just looked for
>> consistent list & code contributions).  I also provided a section for
>> those that are contributing
>> but are not committers yet, or may chose not to become committers.
>> Names
>> are in alphabetical order by first
>> name - just copied format from Geronimo. An then of coarse list
>> our mentors.
>
> I realize that you are basing this on what Geronimo has done, but
> personally, I think it's a bad idea to list the organizations on the
> project's people page.  Most people seem to want to know this on the
> proposal, but I think it might send the wrong message to someone who
> doesn't know much about Apache and is browsing the project's site.

I agree.

Re: Web site

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Thanks, I will try mess with that a bit later today when I get some time.

Carl.

Re: Web site

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Carl,

The new layout looks much better - thanks for all your efforts on this
front.

I hope to add some more starter/developer docs into the java space shortly
to help users onboard to Qpid.

Bfn,
Marnie

Web site

Re: Web site

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Jan 11, 2007, at 12:01 PM, Carl Trieloff wrote:

> I see that the exported site is correct with logo's - but the wiki
> pages don't have the logo's correctly.
>
> Usually export fixes this, but this time it did not. If anyone
> knows why please point me in the right direction...
>
> correct on public pages
> http://cwiki.apache.org/qpid/index.html
> no logo's on wiki pages
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/Index

Don't know if this will help but for the OpenEJB autoexport based
site we've got the logo on every page and the disclaimer text as the
footer of every page.  It's right in the template as adding it to
every confluence page would be a pretty arduous task.

The template is here for reference (for those that don't have cwiki
admin):
    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/openejb/trunk/website/
src/vm/openejb_autoexport.vm

It may or may not provide good hints.  Excuse the html though, it
hasn't really been updated in seven years.

-David

Re: Web site

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Johnson, Eric wrote:
> If you added the logos using the autoexport feature they are added when
> the pages are exported.

yes done that.. and that worked
> They are never part of the content of the wiki.

well not that sure, the wiki did not have the nav bar and if I edited a
page or did export it would fix the wiki
pages also. I got it to work on one of two pages by "touching" them but
that is also to painful. There has to be
a way to do it as some of the other projects have got it right on the wiki.

Carl.

RE: Web site

Posted by "Johnson, Eric" <Er...@iona.com>.
If you added the logos using the autoexport feature they are added when
the pages are exported. They are never part of the content of the wiki.
If you want them on the wiki pages you will need to add them to every
page manually.

Re: Web site

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Re: Web site

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

RE: Web site

Posted by "Johnson, Eric" <Er...@iona.com>.
Carl,

Re: Web site

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Re: Web site

Posted by Cliff Schmidt <cl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Web site

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
1. I have updated the home page to have the disclaimer line and link to
status page
2. The license has been added to the project.
3. I have created the people page. I used the Geronimo template and
modified a bit given our
incubator status. Please update your origination if you want it. I got
the list of names by working though
the achieve to see who has substantial contributed (definition of this
could be debated, but I just looked for
consistent list & code contributions).  I also provided a section for
those that are contributing
but are not committers yet, or may chose not to become committers. Names
are in alphabetical order by first
name - just copied format from Geronimo. An then of coarse list our mentors.

I have not yet published these pages, so please go update you name if
needed. I will publish them latter
in the week

Enjoy
Carl.