Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/16 10:49:50 UTC

Re: WSS4J 1.5.4 Encryption Performance Question

Werner

A group of four students from the University of Morutuwa built a
WS-Security implementation architected directly on top of Axiom as
their final year project. Saliya (copied) is one of them, plus
Sameera, Isuru and Kalani. (Forgive me for excluding their surnames).
They called this "Rampart2" as a code-name, but of course naming would
need to be decided by the community. AFAIK they intend to contribute
this to the WS project - and the contribution of canonicalization into
Axiom is the first step they have taken.

My understanding is that they have submitted a paper on this to the
IITC conference, so the paper will be published at the end of the
month. In the meantime, if you contact Saliya, I'm sure he can share a
pre-press version. Saliya also mentioned he is planning to share some
results in a blog.

Paul

Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2
Apache Synapse PMC Chair
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: WSS4J 1.5.4 Encryption Performance Question

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
Plus .. JAXB is a data binding standard - a way to map XML to Java
objects. AXIOM is an XML Infoset representation, which is what's needed
for WS-Sec etc. and not a data bound set of objects. In fact, you can't do
it with the data bound stuff because you lose information items in the
binding.

Sanjiva.

--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/

Re: WSS4J 1.5.4 Encryption Performance Question

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Re: Re: WSS4J 1.5.4 Encryption Performance Question

Posted by Isuru Suriarachchi <is...@gmail.com>.
Hi Oliver,

Posted by Isuru Suriarachchi <is...@gmail.com>.
Hi Oliver,

Posted by Nandana Mihindukulasooriya <na...@gmail.com>.
Hi Shawn,
         I think performance graphs of Rampart2 was quite good compared to
Rampart/WSS4J/Xmlsec and IFAIK, all the four scenarios you tested are
possible with Rampart2 at the moment and  the configuration is almost
similar to Apache Rampart. One thing you can do is to run the benchmark
against the new implementation on AXIOM and observe the performance
improvements.

thanks,
nandana

Posted by Nandana Mihindukulasooriya <na...@gmail.com>.
Hi Shawn,

Posted by Isuru Suriarachchi <is...@gmail.com>.
Hi Werner,

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 9:38 PM, Isuru Suriarachchi <is...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Werner,
>
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 5:53 PM, Dittmann, Werner (NSN - DE/Munich) <
> werner.dittmann@nsn.com> wrote:
>
>>  Isuru,
>>
>> thanks for the info. I've read the article - good stuff.
>>
>> What I'm missing however - can you use this model also to create WSS
>> messages?

In the previous reply I've missed your word *create* :-) You mean message
building right?? When it comes to building, Rampart and Rampart2 are almost
the same. This model is only for processing. But we have done some design
and implementation level improvements to our building side as well.

Thanks,
Isuru

Posted by Isuru Suriarachchi <is...@gmail.com>.
Hi Werner,

Posted by Isuru Suriarachchi <is...@gmail.com>.
Hi Werner,

Posted by Saliya Ekanayake <sa...@wso2.com>.
Please find the performance comparison of Rampart Vs our solution at
http://wssecforaxis2.blogspot.com/2008/10/axis2-performance-with-ws-security.html

Thanks,
Saliya

Posted by Isuru Suriarachchi <is...@gmail.com>.
Hi Werner,

Posted by "Dittmann, Werner (NSN - DE/Munich)" <we...@nsn.com>.
Isuru,

________________________________

axis-dev-help@ws.apache.org

Antwort: Re: WSS4J 1.5.4 Encryption Performance Question

Posted by Oliver Wulff <ol...@zurich.ch>.
Hi Isuru

What was the reason to use Axiom instead of the JAXB standard?

Thanks
Oliver

                      "Isuru
                      Suriarachchi"            An:       axis-dev@ws.apache.org
                      <isurues@gmail.co        Kopie:    "Dittmann, Werner (NSN - DE/Munich)" <we...@nsn.com>, "Dennis
                      m>                        Sosnoski" <dm...@sosnoski.com>, "Colm O hEigeartaigh" <co...@progress.com>, "Werner
                                                Dittmann" <We...@t-online.de>, "jimmy Zhang" <jz...@ximpleware.com>,
                      16.10.2008 13:46          smmtech@sbcglobal.net, wss4j-dev@ws.apache.org, saliya@wso2.com, sameera@wso2.com,
                                                kalani@wso2.com, (Blindkopie: Oliver Wulff/CHK/External/Zurich)
                                               Thema:    Re: WSS4J 1.5.4 Encryption Performance Question

Posted by Isuru Suriarachchi <is...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Isuru Suriarachchi <is...@gmail.com>.
Hi,