Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by tomas_bar <ba...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/08 16:36:00 UTC

Tomcat SQL Server Integration Question

Hi,

I'm using Tomcat for a Java web application (created with GWT).
The application needs to access a server-side database. Initially my choice
was MySQL but for reasons beyond my control it will have to be SQL Server.
Is it problematic to use SQL Server from Tomcat?
I mean, as long as I have a ODBC driver for my java program to communicate
with the database, it makes no difference to Tomcat if the database is MySQL
or SQL Server?
Or are things trickier using SQL Server?

Thanks a lot.

Tomas Bar

RE: Tomcat SQL Server Integration Question

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: tomas_bar [mailto:bartomas@gmail.com]
> Subject: Tomcat SQL Server Integration Question
>
> Is it problematic to use SQL Server from Tomcat?

No.

> I mean, as long as I have a ODBC driver for my java program to
> communicate with the database

Never, never, never use ODBC.  You need a JDBC driver (sqljdbc.jar, for MS SQL Server), not ODBC.

You didn't bother to tell us your Tomcat level, but for the current one, the doc is here:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html

 - Chuck