Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Arvind IK Chari <ar...@arvind.pro> on 2019/06/20 09:56:34 UTC

How to configure James and DNS Records for setting up 25 users each over 2 separate mail servers

Hi
I wish to have a multi server setup with Apache James Server where 25
users each are set up on 2 different mail servers and all 25+25=50 users
are on the same email domain.
As I am new to email, I only know how to setup a single server with all
users of one domain on one server.
What DNS records do I have to configure and what setup for the James
Server do I have to ensure (eg configuration/ storing emails etc) to make
the above example setup work? Please pardon me if the question seems silly
to you as I am a newbie to email server setup.

Yours sincerely,
Arvind.

Re: How to configure James and DNS Records for setting up 25 users each over 2 separate mail servers

Posted by cryptearth <cr...@cryptearth.de>.
Hello Arvind,

it's just a guess, but I don't think this will be possible, and if it
is, it will be tricky.

DNS MX records only allow to a priority for all mail servers, but
nothing about users.

For example: I have also two mail servers running: one on my root server
wich is my main mail server, so it has a standard priority of 10, and a
backup running on my home-network with a lower priority of 20. That way,
I can ensure that complaint MTAs that respect priorities to always try
my main server first, and only if it's unreachable or not responding
(when it's down) fall-back to my backup. But: I have to keep both
servers in sync (simple as I use database as storage and have database
replication in place so local backup auto-sync from main root).

There were some additional DNS records specified in the original RFC
883, but they never become widely used, only MX survived (even SPF felt
back to TXT). So even DNS technically was designed with such "issues" in
mind, it never became widely adopted.

TLDR: if you want to have different users under one domain you need to
have a central user-database each mail-server can access. If you want to
split users in groups maybe consider sub-domains. I don't see how this
would be possible with james or any other modern mail-server without
tinkering some self-made back-end. Even Google have to have some sort of
central user-database(-network) each of thier mail-servers can access.
There is no way that one mail-server would say: oh yes, I have this user
- and others for the same domain: nope, don't know this one. When MX
priorities it's up to the MTA how to choose from multiple servers.

Matt