Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Anil Patel <ap...@adititechlabs.com> on 2007/05/18 19:04:07 UTC

Is Shipping Address ResidentialAddress attribute on Shipping Estimate requests.

Hi,
There is noticeable difference in shipping estimate (definitely  in case of
UPS) if Postal Shipping address is ResidentialAddress or Not. Shipping
estimate services (other then upsRateInquireByPostalCode)  don't account for
this attribute when request is sent. In case of UPS this always defaults to
commercial.

What is best to do in this case? Should we add an attribute to Postal
address, a flag that tells me if the address is ResidentialAddress. Or there
is some other better option to handle this.

Regards
Anil Patel

Re: Is Shipping Address ResidentialAddress attribute on Shipping Estimate requests.

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Agreed.  While we could do this totally thru the UPS interface - many
companies don't want the overhead of the AVS - and it's not like it's
bundled in the same request as the Rate inquiry.  We should
definitely change the default to residential since it's higher.

Now, if you supply these values to UPS - they ALWAYS give you back
different answers.  They do not change the values based upon your
address - only on what you specify - at least at this time.

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Using the USPS walk route database it does tell if a home, apartment,
high rise, business address.
This eliminates the need for AVS service search.

Tim Ruppert sent the following on 5/18/2007 1:22 PM:

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
How about this alternative.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
I've looked at a few UPS bills since this was discussed in Jira.  It
seems that UPS is going to make the adjustment to the bill based on
their information regardless of what we put.  That said, would it be
better to get the information on whether it is a commercial or
residential address from UPS's address validation  service prior to
getting the rate and storing that information in the cart?

The only downside I see in this approach is the amount of time it may
take to get a response from UPS.

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Anil Patel <ap...@adititechlabs.com>.

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.