Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net> on 2008/06/05 17:05:59 UTC

[VOTE] Server Repository plugin for Geronimo 2.1.1

Hi,

As a result of some discussion on GERONIMO-2814
[https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-2814] it was suggested
that we create a plugin to facilitate adding a second repository to
Geronimo.  This is of particular value when running multiple Geronimo
server instances from a single Geronimo installation.

I have created a very simple plugin for this purpose.  For more
information on how this might be leveraged reference
http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/multiple-repositories.html

Staging repo:
http://people.apache.org/~jbohn/staging-repo/plugins/server-repo/

Staging site:
http://people.apache.org/~jbohn/staging-site/plugins/server-repo/1.0/index.html

The vote is open for 72 hours and will conclude on Monday (6/9) at 9:00 ET.

[ ] +1  Release the server-repo plugin
[ ] +0  No opinion
[ ] -1  Don't release the server-repo plugin

Joe

Re: [VOTE] Server Repository plugin for Geronimo 2.1.1

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Here's my +1

Joe

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Jun 9, 2008, at 2:28 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>> On Jun 9, 2008, at 12:52 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:
>>>

>>> I'm canceling this vote to address the version issues.
>>>
>>> I will do one of the following based on how things go:
>>> - Don't specify a G version in the plugin (as is the case now) and
>>> include artifact-alias entries to resolve Geronimo
>>> dependencies ... hopefully resulting in a plugin that can be
>>> installed on any Geronimo 2.1* server (it will probably be
>>> "installable" on 2.0* servers as well but I suspect the
>>> installation would fail).
>> wouldn't this require knowing all possible future geronimo versions?
>> I think a more plausible alternative would be coming up with a
>> "compatibility plugin" that has the aliases to convert from one g.
>> version to another, and checking that this plugin will install on a
>> 2.1.2-SNAPSHOT and possibly 2.2-SNAPSHOT server that already has
>> such a compat-plugin installed.
>> So, while I'm not sure any changes are needed in this plugin, I
>> think it would be a good idea to make sure we do have a path to
>> running it in later servers.
>

> I agree that we need a general solution.
>
> However, I thinking of a more specific solution for this plugin so
> better understand our alternatives since this one is fairly simple
> (with just one geronimo dependency).
>
> I was thinking of doing the following:
> - completely omitting the includeVersion configuration for the car-
> maven-plugin so that it theoretically be installed on any Geronimo
> version.
> - Adding an artifact-alias entry to the car-maven-plugin
> configuration so that the resultant geronimo-plugin.xml would
> include a mapping.  I tried adding this mapping:
> <artifact-alias key="org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-system/$
> {geronimoVersion}/car">org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-system//
> car</artifact-alias>
>
> My hope was that this would work for 2.1, 2.1.1, 2.1.2-SNAPSHOT and
> 2.2-SNAPSHOT by mapping the 2.1.1 dependency of the j2ee-system car
> to any version that could be found in the server repo (ie. the one
> that is installed for that version).  I knew that it would fail
> installation on 2.0* since the groupId for j2ee-system changed
> between 2.0 & 2.1. However, for some reason the entry isn't getting
> included in the resultant geronimo-plugin.xml.  I might be barking
> up the wrong tree anyway.  Should it be possible to do what I was
> trying even if it isn't optimal?

I don't know why that wouldn't get copied to the geronimo-plugin.xml
( i think it should) but it won't work -- the LHS can omit the version
but it is required on the RHS.  If you omit the version in the
dependency though it should install on anything.

hope this helps-- have to run
david jencks

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
+1

Cheers!
Hernan

Posted by Viet Nguyen <vh...@gmail.com>.
+1

Viet

Re: [VOTE] Server Repository plugin for Geronimo 2.1.1

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
+1

Jacek

--