Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Geoff Soutter <ge...@whitewolf.com.au> on 2000/09/01 08:00:03 UTC

WEB-INF/lib classloading performance

Hi there,

I've got a web app which has around 1500 classes (2MB of .jar files).

When I deploy it with it's jar files in the WEB-INF/lib directory, it takes
around 2 minutes to get through the init() method of my servlet. When I
deploy it's jar files in the CLASSPATH, it takes only a few seconds (less
than 10).

Interestingly, this slow classloading behaviour is found across servlet
containers. Tomcat 3.x takes around 2, JRun takes around 1.5 minutes, Resin
around 10 minutes, and the others I've tried are slow as well.

Does this mean that it's an inherent problem with Java, or is it just that
none of us are any good a writing a classloader? :-)

cheers

Geoff

Re: WEB-INF/lib classloading performance

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
Try tomcat 3.3 ( with LoaderInterceptor2 ) - it uses URLClassLoader, so
even if we don't know how to write loaders, it should take the same amount
of time.

Costin