Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Jerry M <te...@malcolms.com> on 2014/03/11 21:06:48 UTC

SpamAssassin Headers Not Being Added to Message (v3b5)

SpamAssassin headers are not being added to messages, at least in the
default configuration, even though the SpamAssassin mailet is being
invoked.  For quite a while today, I was figuring that there was
something wrong with my processor/mailet chain and somehow SpamAssassin
mailet was being skipped.  But I looked at the spamd logs, and the
messages were indeed being passed in and analyzed by spamd.

I dug into the SpamAssassin mailet and SpamAssassinInvoker code.  The
code looks just like what I'm seeing.  No headers are being added.   The
header values are being constructed in the invoker and are stored in a
hash with keys like "org.apache.spamassassin.flag".  The mailet then
reads these values out of the hash and store them as attributes on the
"mail" object (not the "message" object), and still using the
org.apache.... keys.  From what I can tell, that's the last time
anything is done with them.  The mailet exits and life goes on.

I'm not familiar with the 'attributes' on 'mail' objects and how they
are used.  Perhaps somewhere downstream some code is supposed to see an
attribute "org.apache.spamassassin.flag" and make that into a
"X-Spam-Flag" header on the message itself. But it ain't happening.

I have hacked it up in the code and added the missing headers in my
private build.  But I'd really like to understand what is happening.  Is
there supposed to be some other SpamAssassin "Results Processor" mailet
that I should have written that interprets the attributes and converts
them to headers?  If so, that's not obvious.

Can someone explain how messages are supposed to get SpamAssassin
headers in v3?

Thx.

Jerry