Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by toby cabot <to...@caboteria.org> on 2007/08/03 21:07:14 UTC

Re: New openejb deployer has very different assumptions than the rest of the deployment system-- not compatible with offline deployment

On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 03:02:54PM -0800, David Jencks wrote:
> Previously we went to a lot of trouble to make sure that every bit of
> deployment code ran without any runtime components started.  I would
> like to know if this new dependency is intentional, and essential.  I
> don't think we should introduce such a very large change in
> philosophy about the geronimo server architecture without  discussion.

Hi folks,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was curious what's up with
this.  I just got a spiffy new PC which led to some poking around in
the offline deployer code to find out why there's 10s of "dead air"
everytime I run an offline deployment command.  Turns out that it's in
the active MQ code - there are two connections and for some reason
each connection shutdown sits for ~5s.

But that leads to a different question, which is why does the offline
deployer tool start active MQ?  I found that when the
OfflineDeployerStarter.startPersistentOfflineConfigurations() method
starts the "openejb-deployer" config a whole mess of other things
start, including active MQ.

This is where I start to lose the trail.  In the openejb-deployer
there are some module/gbean/xml-attribute/environment/dependencies,
which in this case are openejb, openejb-core, geronimo-openejb, and
system-database, but I don't see active MQ.  Is active MQ a dependency
of one of these dependencies?

I guess that offline deployment isn't a popular feature so I don't
expect this to be a high priority issue but I think there was
consensus back in February that this should be fixed before the thread
went cold.  I'll help if I can, but I'm at the limits of my Geronimo
knowledge so pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Toby

Posted by toby cabot <to...@caboteria.org>.
Thanks for the info, David, and the quick response.  I've monkeyed
around a little more and it looks as if the axis-deployer,
axis2-deployer and cxf-deployer also start active MQ as a side effect.
Evidently my application doesn't use any of these features because I
can disable them in deployer-config.xml (and add j2ee-system which
appears to be necessary) and the offline deployer still deploys my
application just fine and runs a *lot* faster.

If you'd like I'll log a bug with this info.

Thanks again,
Toby

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
I think this is a very important issue and I apologize for letting it
slide under my radar.  I still don't know enough about openejb3 to
know how to  fix it myself.  I guess I think the release notes for
2.0 should include a warning saying that use of the offline deployer
for ejb apps is not advised.

It's pretty easy to see why activemq is being started:

openejb-deployer needed to deploy your ejb app
openejb-deployer requires openejb (runtime) to be running in order to
work (this is the problem)
openejb requires activemq (I imagine this is basically for
convenience, but I don't actually know how tied openejb is to a
particular jms implementation (amq))

thanks for bringing this up again.

david jencks