Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ra...@seagate.com on 2006/08/03 02:57:25 UTC

How to identify busy Tomcat threads

When i look at the Tomcat status page via the browser, if it tells me that
all the threads are busy - but the details of each of the connections
indicates that these connections are in "k" - keep alive stage. Is there  a
way to tell using this status page or any other method if these Tomcat
threads are actually being kept busy for keepalive purpose and not by
requests coming in from the Apache webserver.  I doubt that all the Tomcat
threads are busy doing useful work since  on the Apache side the number of
active connections as seen using the server-status page is less than half
the number of Tomcat threads that are busy.

Thanks

Re: How to identify busy Tomcat threads

Posted by Ra...@seagate.com.
Thanks for that tip. Since the current Tomcat status page shows these
threads as busy even though they are waiting for connections from Apache,
it is a bit misleading since we are not sure if we are out of capacity on
the Tomcat side and if we need to increase to Tomcat capacity.
What is the best way to judge if we are running out of Tomcat resources?

Thnks

             "Bill Barker"
             <wbarker@wilshire
             Sent by: news             users@tomcat.apache.org
             <news@sea.gmane.o                                          cc
             rg>
             No Phone Info                                         Subject
             Available                 Re: How to identify busy Tomcat
                                       threads

             08/02/2006 07:07
             PM

             Please respond to
               "Tomcat Users
                   List"
             <users@tomcat.apa
                 che.org>

<Ra...@seagate.com> wrote in message
.

> When i look at the Tomcat status page via the browser, if it tells me
that
> all the threads are busy - but the details of each of the connections
> indicates that these connections are in "k" - keep alive stage. Is there
> way to tell using this status page or any other method if these Tomcat
> threads are actually being kept busy for keepalive purpose and not by
> requests coming in from the Apache webserver.  I doubt that all the
Tomcat
> threads are busy doing useful work since  on the Apache side the number
of
> active connections as seen using the server-status page is less than half
> the number of Tomcat threads that are busy.

For the AJP/1.3 Connector, The "k" stage means that Tomcat is waiting for
the next request to be forwarded from Apache.

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.