Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Andreas Oberhack <de...@softwarefabrik.biz> on 2003/11/09 23:21:06 UTC

Persistence [Hibernate]

As posted before, I have implemented a PersistenceService in Merlin, which
is accessible through Merlins context and uses the Hibernate OOR mapping
tool.

If you are intrested in, you can download the service and some example code
from
http://www.merlin.softwarefabrik.biz/tutorial/persistence/background.htm

I have also added some very limited doc. It should help to dive into the
code.

Thanks

Andreas

RE: Avalon Context (was Re: Persistence [Hibernate])

Posted by andreas oberhack <de...@softwarefabrik.biz>.
:-) right. It's just the rest of my early days of evaluating the context
class. (tutorial)

I was thinking about to have a "SystemInfo getSystemInfo()" in the
context, where you could ask for "getPartitionKey()" etc.

All the best

Andreas

Re: Persistence [Hibernate]

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>On Monday 10 November 2003 17:21, Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>>Andreas:
>>
>>I've downloaded Eclipse and your stuff - browsed around, etc. but I'm
>>still trying to figure out where the actual exclipse plugin is. Am I
>>missing something?
>>

>You probably have to import the plug-in.  File->Import->Plugin...

Yep - but what do I actually import - of the three downloads - 2 are
examples and one is the persistence stuff - I think the plugin itself is
missing.

Stephen.

(who knows less about Eclipse than he knows about CVS - scary isn't it)

>I am also a bit confused over when a plug-in is activated...
>
>Niclas

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

RE: Persistence [Hibernate]

Posted by andreas oberhack <de...@softwarefabrik.biz>.

> You probably have to import the plug-in.  File->Import->Plugin...
>
> I am also a bit confused over when a plug-in is activated...

It's quite easy. Only extracting the zip and restart eclipse. But there
quite powerful features for updating plugins build in into eclipse. I
followed your discussions about the repository - and I think, it would
be interesting to have a look at the eclipse distribution framework!

Let me just write a small installation guide - it will ease the things!

Andreas

Re: Persistence [Hibernate]

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Re: [merlin] using include directive in block.xml

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Jim Alateras wrote:

>Just for completeness I have attached a copy of the block.xml that works
>correctly. I would have thought that thread-impl's block.xml would have
>included all the runtime dependencies for the DefaultThreadManager.

I would have though so as well.
I'm going to doing some digging.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

Re: embedding tomcat in merlin

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Actually I'm working on this at the moment.
> Is 4.2.14 the good jetty version?

Ignore this question - I've just read the readme which confirms we are
running against 4.2.14.

Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Timothy Bennett wrote:

>"Jim Alateras" <ji...@comware.com.au> wrote in message
>

>>Can someone confirm whether the servak component, in avalon-sandbox, can
>>be used to embed tomcat into a merlin container.
>>

>Jim,
>
>If you're looking for a web server/servlet container that can embedded into
>merlin, then the avalon-merlin block has just been offered up as candidate
>for the sandbox.  It is a solid block implementation of the Jetty web server
>and servlet container (http://www.mortbay.org), and provides a hook to allow
>any servlets/webapps access to the Avalon ServiceManager for component
>lookup.  There should be an announcement here and on the avalon users list
>soon about its availability.

Actually I'm working on this at the moment.
Is 4.2.14 the good jetty version?

Stephen.

>If you are absolutely set on using Tomcat, then this block will not be of
>much interest to you.
>
>Timothy

Stephen J. McConnell

Posted by Jim Alateras <ji...@comware.com.au>.
Tim,

Just tried it and works well.

thanks
</jima>

Posted by Timothy Bennett <ex...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Jim Alateras wrote:

>Can someone confirm whether the servak component, in avalon-sandbox, can
>be used to embed tomcat into a merlin container.

I can be - I remember posting an example once - but it was nothing more
than a validation that is was possible.

Stephen.

>cheers
></jima>

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

embedding tomcat in merlin

Posted by Jim Alateras <ji...@comware.com.au>.
Oops wrong block.xml. Here is the one I ended up using

Posted by Jim Alateras <ji...@comware.com.au>.

Posted by Jim Alateras <ji...@comware.com.au>.
Steve,

Posted by Jim Alateras <ji...@comware.com.au>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Jim Alateras wrote:

> [...]
>below
>
><container name="pep">
>     <classloader>
>       <classpath>
>         <repository>
>           <!-- Avalon resources -->
>           <resource id="avalon-framework:avalon-framework-api"
>version="4.1.5"/>
>           <resource id="avalon-framework:avalon-framework-impl"
>version="4.1.5"/>
>           <resource id="commons-logging:commons-logging"
>version="1.0.3"/>
>
>           <!-- ChoreoWorks Server Application Platform -->
>           <resource id="choreoworks-sap:sap-logger" version="1.0"/>
>           <resource id="choreoworks-sap:sap-uuid-spi" version="1.0"/>
>           <resource id="choreoworks-sap:sap-uuid-tyrex" version="1.0"/>
>           <resource id="choreoworks-sap:sap-scheduler-spi"
>version="1.0"/>
>           <resource id="choreoworks-sap:sap-scheduler-quartz"
>version="1.0"/>
>           <resource id="choreoworks-sap:sap-queue-spi" version="1.0"/>
>           <resource id="choreoworks-sap:sap-queue-openjms"
>version="1.0"/>
>
>           <!-- Logger Components -->
>           <resource id="log4j:log4j" version="1.2.8"/>
>
>           <!-- Job Scheduler Component -->
>           <resource id="quartz:quartz" version="1.2.3"/>
>
>           <!-- Cornerstone Components -->
>           <resource id="cornerstone-threads:cornerstone-threads-api"
>version="1.0"/>
>           <resource id="cornerstone-threads:cornerstone-threads-impl"
>version="1.0"/>
>
>           <!-- Excalibur Components -->
>           <resource id="excalibur-thread:excalibur-thread"
>version="1.1.1"/>
>
>           <!-- JMS Components -->
>           <resource id="jndi:jndi" version="1.2.1"/>
>           <resource id="jms:jms" version="1.0.2a"/>
>           <resource id="openjms:openjms-client" version="0.7.6-rc2"/>
>           <resource id="openjms:exolabcore" version="0.3.6"/>
>         </repository>
>       </classpath>
>     </classloader>
>

>     <include name="thread-manager"
>id="cornerstone-threads:cornerstone-threads-impl" version="1.0" />
>
>     <component name="log4j-logger"
>class="com.choreoworks.sap.logger.log4j.Log4JLogger"
>activation="startup"/>
>     <component name="tyrex-uuid"
>class="com.choreoworks.sap.uuid.tyrex.TyrexUUIDGenerator"
>activation="startup"/>
>     <component name="quartz-scheduler"
>class="com.choreoworks.sap.scheduler.quartz.QuartzJobScheduler"
>activation="startup"/>
>     <component name="openjms-queue"
>class="com.choreoworks.sap.queue.openjms.OpenJMSQueueManager"
>activation="startup"/>
>
>     <component name="version"
>class="com.choreoworks.pep.loader.PlatformVersion"
>activation="startup"/>
>     <component name="pep-loader"
>class="com.choreoworks.pep.loader.PEPLoader" activation="startup" />
></container>
>

>When I attempt to run the composite block I get the following error.
>

>Internal error during kernel instantiation.

Stephen J. McConnell

Re: Persistence [Hibernate]

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Monday 10 November 2003 19:07, andreas oberhack wrote:
> :-) no. I didn't upload the plugin yet, because I'm just testing the
>
> installation procedure.
>
> I could give you the current version and if you get problems installing
> the plugin - please let me know.
>
> Which version of eclipse are you using? 2.1 or 3.0?

Niclas = 2.1

Steve = 2.1

Cheers,
Niclas

RE: Persistence [Hibernate]

Posted by andreas oberhack <de...@softwarefabrik.biz>.

Re: Persistence [Hibernate]

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Andreas:

Andreas Oberhack wrote:

>As posted before, I have implemented a PersistenceService in Merlin, which
>is accessible through Merlins context and uses the Hibernate OOR mapping
>tool.
>
>If you are intrested in, you can download the service and some example code
>from
>http://www.merlin.softwarefabrik.biz/tutorial/persistence/background.htm
>
>I have also added some very limited doc. It should help to dive into the
>code.
>
>Thanks
>
>Andreas

Stephen J. McConnell