Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by bonekrusher <dj...@yahoo.com> on 2008/02/21 21:58:29 UTC

XSL-FO Schema or DTD?

Hi,

Is there an XSL 1.1 schema or DTD to help validate xsl-fo at authoring
rather then at transformation?

Thanks,

Bones

Re: XSL-FO Schema or DTD?

Posted by bonekrusher <dj...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks to both of you.

regards,

Bones

Re: XSL-FO Schema or DTD?

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vi...@anyware-tech.com>.
Hi,

bonekrusher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there an XSL 1.1 schema or DTD to help validate xsl-fo at authoring
> rather then at transformation?

Not to my knowledge, and anyway a schema wouldn’t be enough to validate
XSL-FO properly. The problem is that many properties can be inherited
from higher-level FOs. For example, while border doesn’t apply to
fo:table-row in the separate border model, you can still specify one and
make the cells inherit from it:
    <fo:table-row border="1pt solid black">
      <fo:table-cell border="inherit">
        <fo:block>Cell 1</fo:block>
      </fo:table-cell>
      <fo:table-cell border="inherit">
        <fo:block>Cell 2</fo:block>
      </fo:table-cell>
    </fo:table-row>

A schema would have to allow basically any property on any formatting
object. In the same time it wouldn’t be able to check that e.g., cells
in a table are correctly specified (no overlapping cells, correct
spannings, etc.).

Only an XSL-FO formatter would be able to perform useful validation.
Unfortunately FOP doesn’t currently provide a validation-only mode.
I know that XEP provides one, but I don’t know how accurate it is.

HTH,
Vincent