Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/04 12:02:48 UTC

[S2] Release process for Struts 2.1.x

Hi all
I am in the process of finish configuring the Maven Release plugin for
Struts 2 (I think that I have finished, but I need to test it to be
sure).
In the meantime, I prepared a wiki page that shows how the release
process will look like:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WW/Creating+and+Signing+a+Struts+2.1.x+Distribution
Notice that it needs some cleaning, but anyway I wish to share your ideas.

Ciao
Antonio

Re: [S2] Release process for Struts 2.1.x

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Perhaps we should add a section listing the "portal websites" to the
step-by-step

 * http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/creating-and-signing-a-distribution.html

I believe ApacheNews (an independant entity) feeds from
<an...@apache.org>, which is the cannonical list (that I tend to
neglect).

We did setup our own announcement list too,
<an...@struts.apache.org>, but we haven't promoted it well
(mea culpa here too).

-Ted.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 9/6/07, Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> wrote:

> One thing that is always missing from our release processes is the
> announcements to portal websites. I don't believe the zoom in downloads
> for
> 1.3.8/2.0.8 was a coincidence -- because it was announced very loudly :-)
>
> Make sure you also note emailing the announcement to
> announce.AT.apachenews.org after every release.

But only *after* it has been voted on and deemed to be Beta or GA.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2007/9/6, Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>:

> I just wanted to try a dry-run on 2.1.x first, later tonight (after I
> get some actual work done!).

Just to be complete: the release process won't work until all the snapshot
dependencies are resolved. In particular, there is a dependency to xwork
2.1-SNAPSHOT. See:

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
This looks great, Antonio!

Is there any reason why it's labeled for Struts 2.1.x? Could we also
try it for 2.0.10?

If so, I'll give it a whirl on Sunday (unless someone else would like
to give it a try!).

We're also still in need of volunteers to shepard the 2.1.0.

 * http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/release-notes-210.html

The plan seems to have my name on it, but it would be great if someone
else could step up.

-Ted.

HTH, Ted <http://www.husted.com/ted/blog/>

Re: [S2] Release process for Struts 2.1.x

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2007/9/7, Jim <ji...@mac.com>:

> Fortunately, you can do a dry run:
>
> mvn release:prepare -DdryRun=true
> After running the dry run, use this to cleanup:
>
> mvn release:clean
>
> See the heading "Do a Dry Run" for the Maven 2 release plugin
> documentation:
>
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-release-plugin/usage.html

Unfortunately it won't work until XWork 2.1 is released, so we can remove
the snapshot dependency.

Posted by Jim <ji...@mac.com>.

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2007/9/7, Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>:

> And just in general, we use the release plugin at Maven, have used it
> at MyFaces, and at work we use the release management feature in
> Continuum (which is based on the same thing).

You forgot to mention Tiles :-)

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 9/7/07, Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> wrote:

> I'm nervous since there doesn't seem to be a way to try a "dry run" on
> 2.1.x. Though, since there is no hurry for 2.0.10, if you have time to
> apply the patch to the branch, we might as well try it there first.

Jim pointed out the -DdryRun=true parameter so you can see what it's
going to do (and then 'mvn release:clean' afterwards before doing it
for real).

The first time you do it, it will probably do some rearranging and
reformatting in the pom, but after that the diffs will settle down to
only the version number and scm connection elements changing.

And just in general, we use the release plugin at Maven, have used it
at MyFaces, and at work we use the release management feature in
Continuum (which is based on the same thing).  I admit it took a while
before I trusted Maven to touch svn under my user id. :)

Antonio, thanks for working on this!

--
Wendy

Re: [S2] Release process for Struts 2.1.x

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.