Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2007/04/01 15:00:40 UTC

[ANN] Maven 2.0.6 Released

The Apache Maven team would like to announce the availability of
Maven 2.0.6. We have closed out 22 issues for this release and the
upgrade from 2.0.5 should be pain free. We corrected a major flaw in
the artifact resolution mechanism and we cannot find any problems but
information about the change can be found here:

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-dependency-plugin/examples/
preparing-dependencies.html

You can find the binaries here:

http://maven.apache.org/download.html

You can find the release notes here:

http://maven.apache.org/release-notes.html

You can find the roadmap here:

http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?
reset=true&&pid=10500&fixfor=13010&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/
order=DESC

Thanks,

The Apache Maven Team

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.0.6 Released

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 4/2/07, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:

> So when they reference bad information in the site you're going to go
> back and edit it to make it correct again?

Huh?  I want the release notes to be static.  Not to change if
something changes in JIRA, and not to disappear (404) if JIRA gets
upgraded or goes away some day.

I'll put the link back in, though... no reason we can't have both.

--
Wendy

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.0.6 Released

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 2 Apr 07, at 2:03 PM 2 Apr 07, Emmanuel Venisse wrote:

> Joakim Erdfelt a écrit :
>> Jason van Zyl wrote:

>>> So then the pointers to those issues are just as meaningless. If you
>>> don't retain some integrity in the issue management system then
>>> what's
>>> the point really?
>>>
>>> Just copying text around doesn't have much value. I don't think it
>>> happens that often that an issue is removed. If any text is going to
>>> be added it should be the changes text with full descriptions. I
>>> don't
>>> see much use in copying text out of JIRA.
>> +1 for static release notes content.
>> I think that if a jira issue gets re-opened, then the linked jira
>> report
>> will then be out of date.
>> Also, if a reorganization of the jira occurs, the release
>> information is
>> lost too.
>> Also, if jira isn't available, the release notes are also not
>> available.
>> I'm in favor of static release notes.
>
> Me too. And we can generate it easily with swizzle.

Provide no human has to go scrape it out that would be fine. It just
seems dumb to copy it from one system to another. One end or the the
other is going to be inaccurate when people shuffle around issues.
 From the static document you will be pointing at information which
is no longer there, or rearranged. In the a link to the dynamic view
some issues would no longer be a part of the roadmap. How many issue
have ever been reopened from a roadmap of a released? Five? And
really, if an issues was reopened, moved to another fix version and
actually corrected which view is more correct? I would say the
dynamic one at any point in time.

Jason.

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.0.6 Released

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.0.6 Released

Posted by Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.com>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On 2 Apr 07, at 1:01 PM 2 Apr 07, Wendy Smoak wrote:

>>> I added a pointer to the roadmap, I don't think we need to entirely
>>> replicate the list produced by JIRA. But users should be able to
>>> navigate from the release notes to the full list of fixes.
>>
>> IMO, the list needs to be in svn (and I added it).  JIRA issues can be
>> reopened and edited, and may disappear from the generated list.
>
> So then the pointers to those issues are just as meaningless. If you
> don't retain some integrity in the issue management system then what's
> the point really?
>
> Just copying text around doesn't have much value. I don't think it
> happens that often that an issue is removed. If any text is going to
> be added it should be the changes text with full descriptions. I don't
> see much use in copying text out of JIRA.
+1 for static release notes content.

I think that if a jira issue gets re-opened, then the linked jira report
will then be out of date.

Also, if a reorganization of the jira occurs, the release information is
lost too.
Also, if jira isn't available, the release notes are also not available.

I'm in favor of static release notes.

- Joakim

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.0.6 Released

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.0.6 Released

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 4/1/07, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:
> On 1 Apr 07, at 9:04 AM 1 Apr 07, Brett Porter wrote:
> > Should this include the full change log like previous releases?
>
> I added a pointer to the roadmap, I don't think we need to entirely
> replicate the list produced by JIRA. But users should be able to
> navigate from the release notes to the full list of fixes.

IMO, the list needs to be in svn (and I added it).  JIRA issues can be
reopened and edited, and may disappear from the generated list.  And

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.0.6 Released

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.0.6 Released

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 1 Apr 07, at 12:14 PM 1 Apr 07, Gregory Kick wrote:

> Thanks for the release.  Just thought that I'd point out that the main
> maven.apache.org page still says 2.0.5.

Fixed, thanks.

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.0.6 Released

Posted by Gregory Kick <gk...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the release.  Just thought that I'd point out that the main
maven.apache.org page still says 2.0.5.

On 4/1/07, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> On 01/04/2007, at 11:25 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> >> Should this include the full change log like previous releases?
> >>

> > Forgot to mention I updated that and deployed the site again.
> >
> > Jason.
> >
> >> Thanks,
> >> Brett

Gregory Kick
http://kickstyle.net/

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.0.6 Released

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Thanks!

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.0.6 Released

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.0.6 Released

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.0.6 Released

Posted by Donnchadh Ó Donnabháin <do...@gmail.com>.
OK, I'll try to create a simplified pom which exposes this bug.

It seems to occur on this line:
resetArtifact.selectVersion(
resetArtifact.getVersionRange().matchVersion(resetArtifact.getAvailableVersions()
).toString() );

Maybe it's related to the following bug (same piece of code)
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2861

  Donnchadh

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.0.6 Released

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.0.6 Released

Posted by Donnchadh Ó Donnabháin <do...@gmail.com>.
On 4/1/07, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:
> The Apache Maven team would like to announce the availability of
> Maven 2.0.6. We have closed out 22 issues for this release and the
> upgrade from 2.0.5 should be pain free. We corrected a major flaw in
> the artifact resolution mechanism and we cannot find any problems but
> information about the change can be found here:

Just gave this a try and got the following error:

[INFO] Building wumpus Web Application
[INFO]    task-segment: [install]
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] [resources:resources]
[ERROR] FATAL ERROR
[INFO] null
[INFO] Trace
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver.DefaultArtifactCollector.recurse(DefaultArtifactCollector.java:164)
        at org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver.DefaultArtifactCollector.recurse(DefaultArtifactCollector.java:334)
        at org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver.DefaultArtifactCollector.recurse(DefaultArtifactCollector.java:334)
        at org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver.DefaultArtifactCollector.collect(DefaultArtifactCollector.java:75)
        at org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolveTransitively(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:284)
        at org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolveTransitively(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:272)
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.resolveTransitiveDependencies(DefaultPluginManager.java:1238)
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPluginManager.java:397)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:539)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalWithLifecycle(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:480)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:459)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandleFailures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:311)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:278)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:143)

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.0.6 Released

Posted by Jerome Lacoste <je...@gmail.com>.
On 4/1/07, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:
> The Apache Maven team would like to announce the availability of
> Maven 2.0.6. We have closed out 22 issues for this release and the
> upgrade from 2.0.5 should be pain free. We corrected a major flaw in
> the artifact resolution mechanism and we cannot find any problems but
> information about the change can be found here:
>
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-dependency-plugin/examples/
> preparing-dependencies.html

congrats !

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.0.6 Released